www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lost Land and Teal

Default Lost Land and Teal

to anyone that can help...

My good friends family has a cabin on Lost Land and go up fishing every memorial day weekend and labor day weekend. I'm tagging along this year. They usually fish for panfish but I'm more of a musky guy. They tell me there are musky in these lakes but they have no idea what to use (again panfisherman). Would anyone give me a few tips for fishing lost land for musky or in that term, fishing this lake period. If you fish the lake, maybe I could meet you on the lake for a show and tell (I'll provide the beer and gas and lunch...) I'll check this post every day until I leave on the Saturday of Labor day weekend. Thanks for any help folks

Red face Lost Land & Teal

Huntn'-
    LLL and Teal are great lakes for Musky, Bass, Walleye, and Panfish. Been fishing the lakes for well over 50 years. Musky lures on these lakes vary from bucktails to surface lures. Size doesn't seem to matter either. I have caught Musky on small bucktails in the fall, as well as magnums. Since both lakes are somewhat stained, orange/brown, black, flour. green, black/red bucktails seem to work. I have been particularly partial to Buchertails in perch, or brown/orange with gold or copper blades. Anything but willowblades have been effective for me. Surface lures like HogWobblers, and Topraiders seem to work well...I like the firetiger and all black colors. Jakes in all sizes work well in perch or firetiger as well. I usually start to size up on bucktails come fall, but from the sounds of things on the info reports, I'd start shallow with 5's, and then work up from there, and then deeper. I raised some big ladies in June out on the gravel bars off Duck Point. Also Farm Bar. If going to Teal, bring the motor up and slap water while entering, there are some dandy prop killers lying under the water there. The thoroughfare usually runs about 5-6' once in it, but is very shallow on both ends. Have caught Musky in there by casting parallel to the weeds. Good for crappie too. Pick up a Hot Spots map from The Happy Hooker bait and store on upper A and the bars that the map points out all produce. Empire Bar is good. Stay off the drop and cast into the shallow areas...watch behind and below your lure...the Musky seem to be lazy this year and will follow all the way to the boat...don't forget to figure 8 after each cast. They have a habit of coming out from under the boat. Had a high 30's to low 40's fish trail in behind my Jake 3x in five casts in June, only to chase the 8 and nip at it a couple of times and swim off. Right after that about 50 yards further down the bar, my fishing partner had a high 40's fish hit his bucktail about 30 feet from the boat. Didn't get a good hookset and lost her at the side of the boat. There are some big ones in there, but they seem to run mostly from the high 20's to the high 40's. The one we lost could have gone over 50, but I'm sticking with high 40's because we didn't get her in the boat for pix and a measurement. Good luck over Labor Day weekend. The wife and I will be back up the 19th of September.
    Best fishes,
    Nick
    <><
    Last edited by Nick Kanauz; 08-19-2009 at 03:29 PM.

As always, great advice Nick. (huntnfish -Nick knows these water at least as good and better than most)

Hey, by the way, how many did you get in the boat this summer ? :-)

All the best in September my friend, I'm not sure I'll make it back this year but look forward to your report.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan...thanks for the cudos...sorry you won't be able to get back. And...you are the king this year!!! Will send an update for sure. Anyone know how the water depth is?

thanks for the info!

Default Lost Land

Fished there many times and it is a good musky lake. Try opposite shoreline from Northland Lodge all the way into the bay. Like Nick, my brother lost what looked to be a 50plus last year. Consistent 36-44 inchers over the years.
    Best of luck to you.
    David

Default Sept fishing at LLL & Teal

I read with interest the posts by Nick and others about fishing LLL & Teal. I am returning to these 2 lakes (Northland Lodge) on Sept. 19th. I fished them 10 yrs ago in the heat of the summer. The biggest fish landed in a week of fairly serious fishing was a 2 lb largemouth. I fished them again 2 years ago in mid October and got snowed out for most of my week. We did have one quick musky strike on a sucker but he bit between the hooks and let go. I'm trying again this year in mid September in hopes of better fishing. I noticed that Nick is also going to be there on the 19th. I relish any Fall fishing tips that anyone might care to share. I will be fishing with my 82 yr old father. We have a pontoon boat rented from Northland Lodge for the week 'cause its more comfortable for him. Although we both have a lifetime of fishing experience, we have little success at LLL & Teal to boast about and could use all the help we can get. Thanks alot and am really looking forward to wetting a line in Wisconsin. Jim
    Last edited by jimoz; 09-10-2009 at 10:56 AM.

The best advice I can give is follow what Nick says. He has given me a few good pointers that paid off (and a few that haven't !). You should also stop in at the Happy Hooker and ask Pat or Lori what is biting and where. They too are great resources.

Talking LLL & Teal

Jimoz
    If you are on the lake, look for a tan/black Smokercraft with a 40 Merc tiller. The rather chubby guy in the back of the boat would be me. I would be happy to show you a few places that have produced in the past. When retrieving your casts, vary the speed until you find what they want. One day they want you to burn the lures, and the next slow roll them. I would start shallow and work out this year, as most of the posts I have read show shallow to weed edges. Haven't really heard of anyone fishing for suspended fish. Colors on these lake are as I have already stated, but I ALWAYS stop on my way in to the lodge to ask Pat what has been the hot lures. He is more than happy to spread the knowlege. And don't be afraid to pick up a hot spots map. They are pretty good. Mine is better, but only a few of my friends have received them. Good luck, and hope to see you out there.
    Best fishes,
    Nick
    <><

Default Sept fishing LLL & Teal

Nick, I'll keep an eye out for your boat. As I said, I'll be on a pontoon boat with my 82 yr old dad. I'm 54 and tall. (occasionally, there may be another angler on the boat... my sister is along too but not as serious a fisherman as dad and I) If you spot us, give us a hail. We'll be fishin' mostly in LLL but will journey over to Teal a time or two. Thanks for the tips. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimoz View Post
    I read with interest the posts by Nick and others about fishing LLL & Teal. I am returning to these 2 lakes (Northland Lodge) on Sept. 19th. I fished them 10 yrs ago in the heat of the summer. The biggest fish landed in a week of fairly serious fishing was a 2 lb largemouth. I fished them again 2 years ago in mid October and got snowed out for most of my week. We did have one quick musky strike on a sucker but he bit between the hooks and let go. I'm trying again this year in mid September in hopes of better fishing. I noticed that Nick is also going to be there on the 19th. I relish any Fall fishing tips that anyone might care to share. I will be fishing with my 82 yr old father. We have a pontoon boat rented from Northland Lodge for the week 'cause its more comfortable for him. Although we both have a lifetime of fishing experience, we have little success at LLL & Teal to boast about and could use all the help we can get. Thanks alot and am really looking forward to wetting a line in Wisconsin. Jim
    hey I will be staying out of northland the 21st to the 25th ,, I usually make it up there around this time of the year, im no expert but know the lakes fairly well, we will be fishing pretty hard and would be happy to share any info. look for the short guy with a shaved head .. i will probaly be in the lodge after dark.. gl

Default LLL & Teal

Quote Originally Posted by noURsnagged View Post
    hey I will be staying out of northland the 21st to the 25th ,, I usually make it up there around this time of the year, im no expert but know the lakes fairly well, we will be fishing pretty hard and would be happy to share any info. look for the short guy with a shaved head .. i will probaly be in the lodge after dark.. gl
    gl..... I'm sure I'll stop into the lodge in the evening on occasion and will look for a "short guy with a shaved head". Thanks for the offer of fishing info. After 2 previous times of less-than-good fishing, I'm hoping for better "luck" this time around. I'm at Northland from the 19th to the 26th. Jim