www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: River is in horrible shape.

Default River is in horrible shape.

If anyone is even thinking about coming this way to fish in our "clean water" this week, please punch yourself in the face, turn on the Oxygen channel and ask your wife if she has any "honey-do" chores.......after all of that, consider yourself lucky to have stayed home.

We were dodging trees, stumps, weed clumps, and lumber yesterday just to get back to the launch. The smell of mud was everywhere. We were hit with some nasty flash flooding but Western NY got pounded and most of that water ends up in the Allegheny River drainage basin. If I had clients scheduled the rest of the week, I would be cancelling them for sure.

I have never seen the Kinzua to Warren stretch look this bad and South of Warren looks like you could walk across the river with all the suspended mud.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 08-11-2009 at 07:54 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I check a couple of websites that give me water level info and I was amazed at how it came up so much in just 24 hrs?? Is it all due to the rainfall? I thought the ACE were letting some water out of the reservoir.....

That stinks, We were headed to camp thursday night for a long weekend before my wife starts back into her fall sports schedule. Going to have to head to chautauqua for a couple days. We had about 1.25" of rain here in Indiana last night in a matter of hours.

Holy crap! The flow is up around 10,000 cf/s!

It is currently raining here in Warren......

Kinzua is slowly on the rise and will probably sit on most of the recent rainfall for a day or two to allow Pittsburgh to drain but also to accomodate the National Championship Canoe/Kayak races that began here yesterday. They had to modify the course due to debris floating from the flooded tributaries.

The ouflow numbers are on the rise but not even close to the amount that hit the ground the past 2 days.......I expect the discharge to be very high later this weekend as long as there is no rainfall in the SW part of the state.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

At 9300 cfs, the Res is projected to rise by a half a foot each day if there is no more rain.........that is an incredible amount of water draining into this basin.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Thanks for the heads up Red. I wanted to get out a nite or two this week down this way. May have to check it out tonight or else wont be fishing for awhile.

venago/cambridge area got between 3-4" of rain in a matter of an hour so french creek went from beautiful and clear to mud and high in no time! I spoke with a guy who lives on cussewago and it rose 2' in 2 hours, he had never seen it like that since he has lived there (14 years). I am so sick of this weather! Happy I was not you Red!

Jacob

Still raining here.........I am about 20 hours behind on my sleep so a nap is sounding pretty good right about now!!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Thumbs down

Went for a drive this morning to check out the Conewango and Allegheny hopeing maybe to get the boat in this weekend but it doesn't look good. With more rain coming I think it'll be a bit before things calm down around Warren.

Default BAD rains in NY

not totally surprized given what we hd blow through here. massve flooding and roads washed out. saw a pic of Lk Erie shoreline just N of Chaut...looked like the hurricane aftermath pics...boats and debris strewn around...crazy stuff...

The Res. is finally on the drop now with a discharge of 10,000 cfs. Hopefully, this will be as high as the outflow gets for next week.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

The river is dropping Friday 1 PM.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they are dropping it temporarily so the National Championship Canoe/Kayak races can be held. As soon as it is over, you bet the outflow will jump right back up and possibly even higher. The ACE works with the Chamber of Commerce every 2 years to guarantee a nice flow to hold this event and boost the local economy.

With the Res being 7ft. over summer pool, there is still plenty of "stored energy" to be released.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 08-15-2009 at 07:29 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Default Today

Just got back from Tionesta, arruived last Thursday. River may have dropped a little but still high and muddy. Tionesta outflow wasn't to bad, not as murky as the river.

The river is dropping almost a foot per day while maintaining the same outflow (8000 cfs) for the next 4 days.

The 'gate mixing' has already began with both upper and lower gates being utilized. This normally does not occur until September (the onset of turnover) as to not shock the river fish with a drastic temperature change but since the Res is void of a thermocline already, the lower gates are open. Kinzua outflow temp was 63 at 3pm today....South of Warren is 68-69.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 08-17-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress