www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lost Lake help

Default Lost Lake help

Greetings,

I am new to the forum. Just moved back to Wisconsin after 15 yrs and am getting back into fishing with my 7 and 8 yr old kids. I took them fishing for the first time last week on the Manitowish chain and they had a blast catching perch, bluegill and bass. We will be on Lost Lake (west shore) for the last two weeks of August. I'm looking for some advice on fishing the lake during that time. I'm sure that fishing panfish in the weeds is a safe bet. How is the crappie fishing ? Are minnows on bobbers the best bet for kids ? On the Manitowish chain I was trying to fish the weeds for Northern/Bass while the kids fished for panfish, but was mainly snagging weeds with my rapala/crayfish lure. Any lure suggestions for late summer - or just retrieve faster. Thanks for the help.

Jan Brekke

Jan,
    We own a place on Lost Lake and have fished it for 40 years. We fish it a ton. It can be great or it can be awful, like most lakes. Unfortunately, late August is not my favorite time, but you may be alright if you are looking for panfish, northern and bass. It will be quite weedy then as it was already in July. Panfish (bluegills) are everywhere! Crappies will be around cabbage weeds and crappie minnows under small bobbers usually works. Northerns will be in the same areas. I have best success for bass around the docks. Musky and walleye fishing during August is usually pretty poor, so I would stick with the other species. Good luck.

Bob,

Thanks for the help. Are the Lost Lake bass mainly largemouth or smallmouth ? Any suggestions lure/baitwise for fishing them in August ?

thanks

The bass are mainly largemouth, especially in the shallow water and around the docks. I have caught smallmouth around the rock piles out from Doorway resort, but not many. My best bait for the bass is a spinnerbait. Plastic worms or even live bait (crawlers or leaches) work too. However, the panfish get very pesky using live bait. If the bass are active, they will hit just about anything. This year has been really difficult due to the cool and changing water temps. I will be there Aug. 16th for a week. What type of boat do you fish out of? I will look you up and try to point you in the right direction. Also, we can "compare notes" as the week goes on...
    Bob

Thanks again Bob.

We'll be staying at a large older cabin on the west side of the lake. I think it dates back to the early 20th century. I'll probably be fishing mainly in the basic aluminium fishing boat provided. We may be out with the kids on our 21' Sea ray sundeck (white with green trim).