www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Working around pelican.

Default Working around pelican.

Murph, been chasing muskies up on leech for 4 years now. I have mainly fished the east side of the lake and ventured out a pelican reef and red rocks quite a few times. But I have never really traveled over to pelican island. I was wondering if you have any advice for working it. I know it is completely litter with rocks everywhere over there. Are there any rocks that you have to worry about hitting that aren't marked?

Any advice would be great.

Jeremy

Default Rocks

Buoys are in place on the rocks that are dangerous. The buoy on West Bar is located on the end of the rocks. Do not go between the buoy and island the reef runs for several yards inside the buoy. There are several buoys in the area that are in place to keep folks clear when they are shooting Cormorants. I believe they are done till later this fall. There are still a lot of birds out there I saw several hundred yesterday feeding in Sucker Bay.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Thanks for your reply. Do you ever work close to the island on the east side? What do you look for when you fishing rocks? Do you look for some of the reef tops and work those, search for irregularities or will the muskies just roam around in the rocks?

How about down around pipe island, are rocks marked pretty well down there? Don't know why I'm so paranoid about hitting rocks. Big rocks just below the surface just give me the willys.

Maybe next summer I can hire you and you could show me some the tricks about fishing some of that midlake structure.

Thanks again,
    Jeremy

Default Common Sense

Use some common sense when traveling around the islands. Never rush through an area. The buoys are located on the hittable rocks for the most part.

I fish all of the above when it comes to the reefs, the fish can be anywhere. They are usually eating when they come on the reefs so work the entire structure. If there is a lot of boat/fishing pressure they will be off the reef a bit.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Yes common sense is the main thing when traveling around the lake. I just don't like suprises especially expensive ones. I just picture myself starting to work around the island in the waves and not seeing any hazards/rocks before its too late. Just figure I'd ask.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Leech isn't like a lot of lakes where you can go from deep water to eating rocks in a split second. You generally have plenty of warning time, especially on the main lake. Breaks are generally gradual and bad spots are marked with bouys. Like Murph said, just use common sense and go slower in the shallower rocky areas and you'll be fine.

The biggest concern out there in my opinion is when you're actually running the trolling motor and fishing shallow rocks in a big wind. With big rollers they can bounce you up and down pretty good and maybe bounce you off some rocks that way. Leech can get ugly in a hurry. Not a bad idea to have the big motor or your kicker running in neutral if you're casting a wind blown point or other area where you could get blown up on some rocks in a hurry. Big wind and shallow water can create current that makes boat control more difficult and even dangerous at times.

Aaron
    For the best prices and quickest shipping on musky tackle, visit Musky Tackle Online!
    http://www.muskytackleonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by AWH View Post
    The biggest concern out there in my opinion is when you're actually running the trolling motor and fishing shallow rocks in a big wind. With big rollers they can bounce you up and down pretty good and maybe bounce you off some rocks that way. Aaron
    Exactly, this is why I asked the question.

I'm not worried about a drop off coming up and hitting it or running my boat around like a retard close to hazards. With the reduced visibility with the waves, I just worry a little while working the area and a volkswagon sized rock showing up and putting a nice gouge in my fiberglass boat or bending my trolling motor over.

Jeremy
    Last edited by jwelch; 08-08-2009 at 11:18 PM.

I have moved fish from deeper water- edges- start at 16 with a suick or bulldawg and work in and don't be afraid to turn around and cast deeper water. Those baits are subtle and will get them to the boat, the rest I have been a total failure on so far so can't give any advice there. Trolling motor and fishfinder off once I know depth. This formula has worked even better on Wabedo, where I moved and got fish into the figure 8- huge fish all over that lake- two of the 4 biggest fish I've ever seen- a 50 and a 54 for sure. Only one Leech fish- a 32 on some 2 foot deep weeds east side Pelican. You should hit Pipe and the adjoining edge east of there. Unfort I have to leave early for home tomorrow due to family illness, otherwise the heat coming up should turn the trick for these fish. Good luck to all this site's users- Thanks Murph!
    don
    djwilliams
    Ames, Iowa

jwelch...It can be tricky out there in spots when you get the big rollers. I've never had the boat actually bounce off any of these boulders, but I could see it happening if it got really nasty. But then in those conditions you probably aren't out there fishing anyway.

I have bounced the trolling motor off some of the boulders. So I just always try to be looking at what's coming and if it's looking like it might be getting close, I just lift the shaft of the trolling motor up until I'm in the clear. Most of the time you don't need to get the boat in this shallow anyway. These spots are often where the fish are and you don't want the boat on top of them. Better to back off not only to be more productive, but for the safety of your boat as well.

Aaron
    For the best prices and quickest shipping on musky tackle, visit Musky Tackle Online!
    http://www.muskytackleonline.com

thanks aaron and don.

Last couple of years, I've tried to get my self to get over there when its been calmer so I could explore a little but I either ended up somewhere else or it was too rough.

I've really don't have experience fishing over there so I really don't where to start besides working the shoreline around the island. So just trying to pick everybodies brain and get advice.

Thanks to all.

Jeremy

I think with the pressure that place gets the deeper water and the edges are the structure. Windy overcast then I'm in the shallows- but so is everyone else. Weekdays
    djwilliams
    Ames, Iowa