www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Lure Size on Eagle....why upsize?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I agree with the reply post in that you shouldn’t take a trophy out the waters. Everything I’ve read on replicated mounts shows they look just as good and last much longer given humidity and other factors. Through all the years I’ve been up we have never kept a muskie (this will be my 20th). Anytime I see a broche with someone standing on the dock with a 50 incher I think, ‘well that one is no longer available’. For many avid fisherman its as easy choice to place the fish back as you don’t want to deplete your fishery – give someone else the chance to catch a trophy. There is a reason we travel to NW Ontario instead of WI or MN.

Dan, Brian and Steve, thanks for your info. I’ll post how we did in ten days or so.

Steve S

Default herbie

steve s,
    i appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
    we have a camp policy of;
    no over slot fish kept unless accidental death which means;
    walleyes over 18"
    pike over 27.5 "
    trout over 6# or 24"
    bass-none
    muskies none unless potential world record

i have fished eagle for over 25yrs and believe me when i say the good ole days of fishing are not 20-25 yrs ago they are NOW AND UPCOMING.
    with intelligent size and slot limits and possesion limits,and above all the general attitude of todays fishermen with a much more c/r attitude regarding trophy fish in favour of repos and releasing over the slot fish and keeping another under the slot instead for eating the fishery and it's future for everyone and thier kids,grand kids, etc is very bright.
    many resorts have now adopted the same guide lines with respect not only for thier future business wise but more importantly the respource , now if all would especially one in portage bay..... it would help even more.

good luck!!
    steve
    aml
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herbeck View Post
    bass-none
    Yep. I had no idea until you mentioned it that Smallies up there only grow ~ 1" per year. So when someone fillets a 14" Smallie, they're killing a 14 year old fish!!!

Sad story. Was at a lake and was told this story recently. There was a 2.5lb or so Smallie that used to hang around a dock. The little kids in camp would catch it and release it every so often. It was THE big fish the kids would get excited to catch when they would see it (cause they'd usually only be catching little panfish all day). This smallie was almost like the "camp pet". A month or so ago, some guy was coming in and saw the fish by he dock. He purposely caught it, filleted it & ate it!!!

Also recently saw something that looked like it was lifted from 50 years ago. Some older fellas came in with a stringer of bass and pike. I swear they had to be over the limits by 2x, and for sure one of the pike was in the slot. I really think it was ignorance, and they just figured they could keep any fish they caught (like the old days).

It's people's right to keep anything within the limits and regulations of the Ontario MNR. But once again, AML is ahead of everyone else by encouraging people to release whenever possible/reasonable. It is this kind of thinking that makes Eagle Lake THE premiere trophy fishing destination in Canada for all species.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by stevestlouis View Post
    I agree with the reply post in that you shouldn’t take a trophy out the waters. Everything I’ve read on replicated mounts shows they look just as good and last much longer given humidity and other factors. Through all the years I’ve been up we have never kept a muskie (this will be my 20th). Anytime I see a broche with someone standing on the dock with a 50 incher I think, ‘well that one is no longer available’. For many avid fisherman its as easy choice to place the fish back as you don’t want to deplete your fishery – give someone else the chance to catch a trophy. There is a reason we travel to NW Ontario instead of WI or MN.

Dan, Brian and Steve, thanks for your info. I’ll post how we did in ten days or so.

Steve S
    I'm really glad you see it that way, and you seem like a reasonable and intelligent guy. I hope you are able to convince your friend(s) NOT to kill any Musky on Eagle Lake over 54". It would really be a tragedy. Thanks.

I've also released a few 20+lb pike back into Eagle Lake, and have a replica of one of them. Even though pike is a species that is "looked down on" (when compared to Musky, Trout, Smallies, and Walleye) by most, as far as I'm concerned...ANY big fish of any species should be released. A big fish is a rarity to be respected. And I'll tell you what, that 42" Fall pike I got a few years ago would give any Musky fisherman a run for his money as far as the battle is concerned. Big pike are awesome fighters (little ones, not so much ).

-Dan