www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing Report July 30

Default Fishing Report July 30

I have been doing a lot of walleye fishing the last few days and the action remains excellent. I have been using jigs and live bait, either leaches or crawlers. I have been fishing in 12 to 24 feet of water. The large fish seem to be up in the shallower water, 12 to 16, as you get to the deeper water the fish get a lot smaller with some jumbo perch mixed in. I have also been casting crank bait to the points and finding some great walleye and bass action.
    The bass have been a little cold and seem to be hiding in about 8 to 10 feet of water off the boulder shore lines.
    Since I have been fishing walleyes I have not had any time to look for the muskys, but if the fish board is any indicater the musky action has slowed with the rain and colder weather. I am going to take some guys out hunting for them today so I will add to the report in the next couple of days.
    Dick Wilkening
    Witch Bay Pro Staff

Good report Dick. Make sure you spray paint some X's on the areas where you see the muskies as Mr. Brown will be in Town and since he hasn't been up there in two years he will need all of your help. Including: Russ, Wayne, Brad, Mark, Hank, Shirley, Dolly, Polly, The "E" man, Michael, Laura 1 &2, Barb, Brittney, Steve, Gail, Katelin, Maggie, Dollie, Joey, Sherman, my buddy Charlie, Moco, Shilo, Pixie, The nice lady behind the counter at the Rushing River General store, and the Kenora fire department. Good luck Dave.

That's right. I always need all the help I can get. By all reports, it sounds like this year will present a real test of our abilities to locate and catch fish. So, please do get the spray paint goining. If you could, please color code the spots for me so I know whether they are holding small, medium or large fish. I can't wait to get up to camp. 2 years has been way too long. I guess I'll be able to make it through 48 more hours. I've been watching some of Bob Mehsikomer's Witch Bay episodes on the web, and I recognize a number of the spots. As you can tell, my productivity here are work has diminished greatly this week. I might as well go fishing -- I'm not getting much done. Thanks for the thought Ed. We'll shoot you a report when we can.

Default Musky Up date July 30

I took Tony out for a musky hunt this morning and he was able to raise 3 fish in the mid to upper 40 range. He did a great job with the jackpot and hellhound. One of the fish exploded on the jackpot twice but no hooks.
    The water is starting to get fairly green so we had to work around to find some cleaner water. And the fish have seemed to move form the weeds to the rock reefs. We found all three fish sunning on the shallow rock reefs but very aggressive.
    Dick Wilkening
    Witch Bay Pro Staff

Dave I'm sure you will not have any problem finding and boating fish. If Bob is up at camp while you are there, see if you can get one of his Avenger Bucktails. They have a unique double blade design, and relatively easy to work over weed tops and shallow rocks. Also easy to figure 8. I boated one dandy 40-NP with one while at camp.

Default musky/pike

Just got back from 5 days of fishing and it was either on or off. We picked up 3 pike over 30in and one was 39 and thick. Wayne and Dick led us to 3 muskie explosions all well into their 40"s. I got a 30in walleye in a muskie bucktail?? Figure that. The weeds are behind in maturity so the fish are forced to live in the rocks. Over all it was another Witchbay Experience!