www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fish Landing

Default Fish Landing

Ty and others -

What is the best way to work the landing net when you are fishing solo and have a fish boatside??? I actually have practiced it because this has always been my fear of not being able to land the fish......

Yes I am asking because tonight I had one at the boat and struggled to control the fish while trying to net it myself.

I know each situation is different but there is a nice 40" fish out on the east side that didnt want his picture taken with a heavy set guy!

I leave about 4-6ft of line out and thumb the spool while trying to pull it towards the net. Don't hook the fish to the outside rim of the net, especially when it's a big 50" like I did. If you do, carefully try and turn the net under the fish to reverse the net bag.

Use a BIG net! Kahuna is a little heavy to me so I bought a big Beckman. So far I haven't lost a fish trying to net it while solo yet. Also make sure your net handle is extended before you need it.

jkahler - Mine is a frabill big game - So its pretty good size...

This thing is she made a big run underneath the boat and when it surfaced she was right there at boat side. I already had the net ready to go - in hand and that was all she wrote.

Well sometimes 'stuff' happens. Did you thumb the line or use the drag?

I usually leave the net hanging over the side of the boat when I fish by myself. Net bag draped inside though. Then all you have to do is grab the handle and slide it into the water one handed. Make sure to put a rope around any cleats so you don't snag them.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com