James Hart Emailed me this article. Looks like the ponds will be getting some decent launches this fall.

RANDVILLE - Three new boating access sites at will be constructed at the Groveland Mine Recreation Area in Dickinson County beginning on or around Aug. 1, Department of Natural Resources officials have announced.

Groveland Mine is mostly in Sagola Township.

During construction, a recreation area access road, will be closed, DNR officials said Wednesday.

The access road, known locally as West Pond Road, will be closed from approximately Aug. 1 through Nov. 1, to allow for construction of the boating access sites and road improvements between West and East ponds. During this time, the South Pond access road will remain open.

The new boating access sites will be located on Island Pond, West Pond and East Pond. Each boating access site will consist of a concrete ramp, gravel parking lot, and vault toilet and turnaround area.

"We are very excited about the construction of the three new boating access sites," said Steve Milford, DNR Crystal Falls Unit manager.

"The temporary closure of West Pond Road will be a relatively small inconvenience compared to the increased recreational opportunities these new boat launches will offer to Groveland Mine visitors," Milford said.

This project is funded through the Michigan State Waterways Fund, a restricted fund derived from boat registration fees and a portion of the Michigan marine fuel tax for the construction, operation and maintenance of recreational boating facilities, harbors and inland waterways.

Groveland Mine Recreation Area is located at the site of an abandoned iron ore mine.

The old mine's four man-made ponds, which cover more than 600 acres, were used to supply the mine with fresh water for the production of iron ore pellets. The area is open to the public for fishing, hunting and other recreational activities.