www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: copper and depth

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default copper and depth

anyone have any website or info on depth of copper line at given feet . buddy bought some copper and him nor i no much about depths and such. any help much appreciated.

slapper

If I remember right, 150 feet of 45 pound copper will get you down about the same as 10 colors (300 feet,) of leadcore. Depending on speed, 30 to 60 feet down.
    Last edited by The Bait Shop Guy; 07-28-2009 at 01:15 PM.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

There are many opinions on the depth that copper goes at various speeds. The charts in the latest Big Water Precision Trolling are way off in my opinion.

I think a good general rule of thumb is that 45# copper goes about 22 feet down per 100 feet out at 2.5 - 3.0 mph. It seems like 200 and 300 foot lengths are what most guys are running.

Capt. Jim McDonald

This may give you a guideline. Seems to line up with capt Jim's data.

http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/okuma.htm
    Gary
    "SeeSwell"

Default line and depth

I purchased some 30lb. copper and remember reading the line out/depth ratio to be 300' of line will give you around 55-60' down depending on speed, leader diameter, and lure. but I wanna say for every 30' feet of line out it would sink 5-6' test speeds ranged between 2.5 to 3mph...

hope this helps Ive been very successful running this setup with 20lb mono backing and a 50' 20lb mono leader with a moonshine magnum spoon.

jerkbait

I've never run 30# copper but from what I've heard it is very similar to 27# leadcore. I know from a few years of experience that 45# gets down about 1/3 deeper!

Capt. Jim McDonald

thanks guys. going to try running it for the first time this weekend.

I've run both and headed in shallow to see. 300' of 30lb touch at 51feet at 2.4mph gps. 150' of 45lb hit at 48 feet down same speed. I think the advantage of copper over leadcore is the faster sink rate. I imagine it goes quite deep on an inside turn. Also the vibration of wire in the water is a plus in many guys books. I like leadcore better for less maintance.