Quote Originally Posted by doncorleone View Post
Hello Kevin, I don't have any pointers but I will be staying at a resort in Steamboat next week and am hoping for some of your feedback on the fishing in that area or some of the things you may have done to get to "better" fishing areas. Any input would be appreciated. This is our first time on Leech and although the resort looks wonderful I am pretty certain I would have chose a different location had I looked at a contoured map of the lake prior to reservations. Thanks.
I can offer some advice about Steamboat Bay fishing, we have fished the wild rice beds with #5 Mepps In Line Spinners and have had excellent luck on Northerns and Bass. You can also fish these area's with Mepps Spoons and nail fish. Fish the rice beds that have 5 to 7 feet of water on the edges and you should have plenty of action. You can also try a search of "steamboat bay" and pull up what's been posted about steamboat bay previously, much of this is fishing questions and advice. Of course you could always hire Mr. Murphy to guide you for a day, I am certain the knowledge gained from that would put you way ahead on the learning curve of fishing Leech Lake.
Again I would like to stress that the reason we are looking else where to stay has nothing to do with a poor resort experience. Both Woodland and Steamboat were nice we are just looking for a shorter boat ride to the big lake; it seem's when we have been at Leech the "hot" walleye bite has always been on the big lake. This has been at times made the trip out to fish hard to get to or just long especially since we rent resort boats. Please post your results after your trip and of course goodluck to you. Kevin.