www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Help narrowing down 2010 lodging.

Default Help narrowing down 2010 lodging.

Hello All,
    Kevin here, we are looking into a family vacation for summer 2010 on Leech and would like to ask for help narrowing down the multiple lodging facilities. We have stayed at Woodland and Steamboat Bay resorts in the past and would like to try to find a resort that is closer to the big lake. So if your in a giving mood and have had a positive + experience can you please list it here? Thanks in advance, Kevin.

Hello Kevin, I don't have any pointers but I will be staying at a resort in Steamboat next week and am hoping for some of your feedback on the fishing in that area or some of the things you may have done to get to "better" fishing areas. Any input would be appreciated. This is our first time on Leech and although the resort looks wonderful I am pretty certain I would have chose a different location had I looked at a contoured map of the lake prior to reservations. Thanks.

Brindley's Harbor is about as good as it gets.

http://www.brindleysharbor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by doncorleone View Post
    Hello Kevin, I don't have any pointers but I will be staying at a resort in Steamboat next week and am hoping for some of your feedback on the fishing in that area or some of the things you may have done to get to "better" fishing areas. Any input would be appreciated. This is our first time on Leech and although the resort looks wonderful I am pretty certain I would have chose a different location had I looked at a contoured map of the lake prior to reservations. Thanks.
    I can offer some advice about Steamboat Bay fishing, we have fished the wild rice beds with #5 Mepps In Line Spinners and have had excellent luck on Northerns and Bass. You can also fish these area's with Mepps Spoons and nail fish. Fish the rice beds that have 5 to 7 feet of water on the edges and you should have plenty of action. You can also try a search of "steamboat bay" and pull up what's been posted about steamboat bay previously, much of this is fishing questions and advice. Of course you could always hire Mr. Murphy to guide you for a day, I am certain the knowledge gained from that would put you way ahead on the learning curve of fishing Leech Lake.
    Again I would like to stress that the reason we are looking else where to stay has nothing to do with a poor resort experience. Both Woodland and Steamboat were nice we are just looking for a shorter boat ride to the big lake; it seem's when we have been at Leech the "hot" walleye bite has always been on the big lake. This has been at times made the trip out to fish hard to get to or just long especially since we rent resort boats. Please post your results after your trip and of course goodluck to you. Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitnargue View Post
    I can offer some advice about Steamboat Bay fishing, we have fished the wild rice beds with #5 Mepps In Line Spinners and have had excellent luck on Northerns and Bass. You can also fish these area's with Mepps Spoons and nail fish. Fish the rice beds that have 5 to 7 feet of water on the edges and you should have plenty of action. You can also try a search of "steamboat bay" and pull up what's been posted about steamboat bay previously, much of this is fishing questions and advice. Of course you could always hire Mr. Murphy to guide you for a day, I am certain the knowledge gained from that would put you way ahead on the learning curve of fishing Leech Lake.
    Again I would like to stress that the reason we are looking else where to stay has nothing to do with a poor resort experience. Both Woodland and Steamboat were nice we are just looking for a shorter boat ride to the big lake; it seem's when we have been at Leech the "hot" walleye bite has always been on the big lake. This has been at times made the trip out to fish hard to get to or just long especially since we rent resort boats. Please post your results after your trip and of course goodluck to you. Kevin.
    Thanks Kevin, We have hired Miurph for a day and I am certain our resort experience will be excellent but for the same reasons as you I am wishing we would have been able to stay somewhere else. By the time I figured out how shallow steamboat is and how darn big it is the other resorts were full for a pary our size. I am definately looking forward to our stay and know we will have a fantastic vacation. Being from the Rocky Mountains I know about trout but didly squat about the fishing here. We stayed last year on Lake Andrusia and the reosort there was full so we are hitting Leech. I used to think we had it good here for our fishing but all these Minnesota people have the best I think and are very lucky and spoiled for their fishing. Thanks and will post when we return.

Default Help narrowing down 2010 lodging.

Well Don, it sounds like you are all set!!! I can offer one more small piece of advice....... don't whimper or whine about having to let the "slot" eye's go when your in Murph's boat he can get a little cranky trying to explain the long term benefits............... I'm just kidding you will have a great time on Leech.
    Update after sifting through many if not all of the archive posts I have just made a resevation for a week at Brindleys in Late June next summer. Brindleys sounds like it has just what we are looking for in a family vacation and a great location.
    Thanks to all!!! Take care. Kevin.
    Last edited by Spitnargue; 07-26-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Update

We spent a week at Big Rock Resort http://www.bigrockresort.com/ in June. We had a great time. The rates were very reasonable and the staff was great. Nothing fancy. I hadn't been to Leech prior to this but I would definitely go back to Big Rock. I hope I do! Here are some memories:

Thumbs down 2010 Lodging on Leech

If you want old boat portrayed as new on the website, non function depth finders, 2-3 days to assemble working nets, minnow buckets, seats, anchor ropes go to Northland Lodge. And to top it off they cost more! GOOD LUCK!

Default Did I miss something?

Hey Huey, did I miss something? My question was " So if your in a giving mood and have had a positive + experience can you please list it here? ". You really should delete your post I don't see where has anyone recomended or even mentioned Northland Lodge? Kevin.

Default Lodge

I would try Red Wing Lodge it is next too Big Rock and has everything you would need and is close to good fishing. They will take good care of you.

We will be there next week and hope there is still some fish left for us.

Good Luck