www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Muskies Moving? Weeds or rocks

Default Muskies Moving? Weeds or rocks

I moved a couple of good sized fish at Pelican yesterday. Any reports of the fish working the weeds in Portage yet?

Default Weeds

Reports of fish activity in the weeds in Portage and Sucker Bays. Look for the thickest weeds and patches of weeds.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

Murph- Seems like some cabbage beds are coming back. Do you think this is true?
    If so, I wonder if the rusty crayfish #s have started to fall or have bottomed out maybe due to the number of walleyes and perch. Good for the muskie fishing as it gives us habitat to target. Don
    djwilliams
    Ames, Iowa

Default Weeds

I believe the rusty population is on the decline. Many fish are eating them, especially walleyes and muskies. Wisconsin had the same problem and they are now seeing a decline in the rusties and their weeds are coming back strong. We also have to stop trolling in the weed beds, trolling did more damage to the Portage Bay weeds than the crayfish. The weed beds in Sucker have remained good mainly due to the lack of trollers in the beds.
    Jim Murphy

Default more weeds.

I was up there a couple weeks ago and I would say I seen a lot more cabbage than i've seen in quite a few years. Didn't do so good with the muskies, that cold front that moved through almost two weeks ago was a killer one. Water temps in the lower 70's to 60 and the wind blowing 20 to 30 sure made fishing interesting to say the least.

Jeremy

Murph- Anything new in this department? How has the main lake been? Any consistent pattern even though the weather hasn't been- topwater, trolling?
    I saw the area had rain forecasted for Monday the 27th- is weather expected to become stable? Water temps? Seems like its early July instead of August.
    Thanks in advance.
    Don
    djwilliams
    Ames, Iowa

Default Weather

Very frustrating season again this cold summer. The weather is just plain cold and miserable. I have talked to several guides in the mid west who report slow fishing. Several of the guides on Mille Lacs have moved to different lakes. Cold water means small feeding windows. They have to eat so keep on plugging away and try to find a hungry fish.

Weed fish seem to be more active, Dcowgirls are still a good bait option. Trolling is good in the sense you are covering water.
    Jim Murphy