www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: reel repair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default reel repair

I have a abu garcia 6500 C4 . the line guide that moves from side to side while casting and reeling keeps stopping on the far riight side . With a lil nudge it kicks back into gear , but stops at the same spot everytime .. ANY IDEAS????

Odds are the worm gear has a bad spot in it. I usually ship my ABU's in to the factory and they fix them very quick and usually rebuild the drag system while they have them. Look online because you may have a local dealer who can repair it very easily.

i couldn't believe what i was reading here. as of sunday, i now have the exact issue with my c4--getting buckled on the far right-hand side. it has to do with the worm gear for sure. i can see a blunt edge in there, all of the other points or edges are sharp and defined. i am sending mine back to ABU GARCIA and crossing my fingers for a quick fix...when i start taking reels apart i become cross-eyed quickly

The pawl is usually the part that wears out. You can avoid future problems by keeping the groove that holds the line guide in place clean. Use a toothbrush with a little oil on it to clean that groove and the worm gear every so often -- you'll be good to go. In the mean time, you probably need a new pawl and maybe even a new worm gear. Like Gary said, the factory does a great job of fixing them.

Take it to Jenk's Bait & Tackle, i had the same problem with mine, he had it fixed in 5 minutes.

I recently had the same thing happen to me. Got a new pawl and worm gear on ebay for like $10. It was a little tricky replacing it, but it was actually kind of fun. I'm sure it was quite a bit cheaper than taking it to a reel repair place and it also gives you an appreciation for the engineering in these things. I suggest you just try it!

Booger