www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Kinzua on the drop

Default Kinzua on the drop

Pittsburgh must be getting plenty of water because Kinzua has been trimming things down since last evening.......I am very glad NOT to be on the river today.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I think the Army Corps has finally got the reservoir down to the "seasonal" level. Only scattered rain down this way...no more than you've had lately..probably less. I do not recall a summer with flows as high as they have been this year.

ppalko

I have been fishing through some real dangerous storms and we are getting pounded again this morning. By the looks of it, I do not think Goretex will keep us dry today!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Water is on the way back up :-) Time to get out there gents. I noticed today heading north on 62 from Tionesta the mud line in the middle of the river before Hickory and some of the edges from all the run off of the tribs also. The fish have to be on the prowl for a snack i would imagine.

Default Heading north

Heading to Tionesta in a few hours. By looking at the rain and reports I would venture to say the Allegheny in the Tionesta area is high and muddy, correct?

I managed to get Tuesday the 28th off work. I'm either going to fish the Kinzua tailrace or the Clarion River. Either way I'll be fishing for trout. I know a lot of you guys are in musky mode but has anyone been doing any trout fishing in the tailrace lately? If so how has it been? I noticed in the last week the flow has dropped from 2200 down to 1400.

outfortrout, when the flow was higher i heard ppl sayijng they where catching some nice trout on the 59side.

Good to hear. Maybe after a couple more days the fish will get used to the lower flow assuming they don't raise it back up that is. The Clarion shot up big time today according to the USGS data and is no doubt muddy plus there is more rain in the forecast so it looks probable that I'll be fishing Kinzua on Tuesday. I've only caught two trout in three trips up there this year (a 13.5 inch Rainbow and a 17 inch Rainbow) but if I can manage to catch a big one, especially a Brown, it would be well worth it.

The level isn't high but it has rose 1 to 1.5' and stained.

I "heard" that downtown Pittsburgh got some street flooding on Monday or Tuesday.......that end of the river has to be getting some serious runoff this week.

I would expect some low outflows for the next few days. If you are a river trout hunter, this is the time to head North.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

The Kinzua outflow is the lowest it has been for several months.....anyone wanting to chase big trout, this is the time. The current outflow is 1211 cfs.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Change of plans. I'll be fishing the Clarion on Tuesday instead of Kinzua.

Could be a good move......that upper section is absolutely full of this year's smallies, shiners and brown suckers not to mention 300,000 freshly stocked trout.

Good Luck!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

They stocked 300,000 trout in the Allegheny? Holy crap! From where to where? How many years do they go between stockings? Pretty tough to compete will all of that available food.

I caught five trout today and about ten smallmouth. None of the trout were very big. One smallmouth was about 16 inches. The others were tiny. I fished the Clarion River and the East Branch Dam outflow.

From the Kinzua outflow to the confluence of the Conewango Creek (8.7 miles).....that stretch is designated as a "Trophy Trout" area. They do those massive stockings every 2 years. Those 5-6 inchers in early-June will be 11-14 by next year......this river water has steriods in it.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I'll have to try it in the Spring next year. I've had a few folks telling me I need to do that. I still may try it a time or two this year yet. I hate to give up fishing for the year. I won't know what to do with myself.