www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Update July 17

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Wayne,
    I had tried to attach a picture of my 51 to this thread, but the file is too large for this format. Therefore, I had sent a copy to Gail with a cc to your gmail address. Hopefully, you can perform some of your magic. As you mentioned, the conditions during the first two weeks of July were far from superior for Muskie fishing. High skies and the lack of wind made it tough in the beginning and when the winds finally turned on so did the fishing. During one of the windiest days (30-50Kph) I took a trip down south of the Barrier Islands and spent the morning casting big crank baits on the reefs. The walleyes were very active as I managed to boat around 20 between 17-and 25 inches. The following day I focused on muskie fishing as we were met by a predominant weather front. After casting a double bladed buck tail I decided to size down a bit to a silver single blade dressed with black marabou. The 51 came off a rocky point in 3 feet of water. In addition during my 10 day trip I also managed to boat two other muskies both measuring 45 inches as well as two nice pike that came in a 40, and 41 inches. During the first part of the trip my wife and I went out with our dear friend Russ where we had a great time pitching plastics onto the shoreline, which yielded a mixed bag 129 fish mainly bass. Don’t over look top water baits as we also found many quality smallies feeding on Mayflies.

Thanks to the staff at WBC for their terrific hospitality and accomodations.

Ed -- congrats on the 51 and the other 2 fish as well. I like the sound of a picture being so big it can't be attached -- that's a big fish. Thanks for the update. But, could you fill in some of the blanks for me? What were the water temps? How about the weeds? You said the 51 came off the rocks, what about the other 2 fish? Anything else you can think of that might help us solve the muskie riddle? My buddies and I will be up there in a week and a half. Can't wait. Thanks.