www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fall Walleyes on Leech

Default Fall Walleyes on Leech

I've never fished Leech in the fall, but am planning on spending some time up there this year. So i can work out schedules, reservations, vacation and everything in advance, what time frame is historically good time to be up there in the fall, and what part of the lake should i focus on?
    Thanks

The best time to go up in my opinion is anytime after Labor Day until the resorts close down which is usually the 2nd week of October. I have been walleye fishing the east side of Leech for just about 30 years now and always cannot wait to get up there. I always am up the last 2 weeks of September and stay at Sugar Point Resort. As I have noticed most of my fellow fisherman on this site fish the other side of the lake in the area of Ottertail and past to Walker Bay. I really think you can't go wrong now on wherever it is you decide to go, but the walleye fishing is pretty good on the east side and you really do not have to go far at all to get into some numbers or quality fish if you stay at Sugar Point. The key is always a consistent wind. Anything from the south to southwest, north to northwest produce good drifts to hit the points. Five mile point all the way down to Genser rock which is on the west side of bear will hold fish. Hit the points of Sugar, Battle, and stay in around 8 to 12 feet of water is where they will hang, but sometimes you will get some larger fish in around 14-16' as well. We caught around 500 last year anywhere from 10" to 27", and release everything we catch until the last few days to bring home our 4 each. Use a 1/8th to 1/4 ounce jig tipped with a shiner or fathead and keep it moving. Or if you prefer to troll use some shad rapps #5 or #7 depending on how deep you are trolling, perch and fire tiger and silver always are consistent colors. Sorry about the novel here but you got me excited to go up now!! Good luck wherever you decide to go, and I am sure Murph will give you his take on the other side of the lake.