www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Flambeau river reports?

Default Flambeau river reports?

Hi Guys,
    anything happening on the river? I will be up fishing the last week of July.
    Fishing from Pixley down to Deadman's. What's the water level like?
    thanks

St. Croix Kid:

Send me a pm with your cell number and I will call you from below the Pixley Dam on Sat. Night!!!

Mark

The river form both the pixley and crowley dams have been good. Muskies have been located on the edges of weed beds and flats in 6-8 ft of water. Bulldawgs and cowgirls are taking fish. Smallies are going on tubes and spinners below the dams and current breaks. Water levels are down slightly.
    Good Luck fishing
    Joe brezinski
    Northland Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    Joe Brezinski - Professional Fishing Guide

Web Site: http://www.northlandguideservice.net/

Default thanks

bulldawgs- check
    spinners- check
    tubes- check
    Joe I read an article that some of the bigger smallies will relate to weeds on the river and won't hit topwaters. a good technique might be throwing unweighted t-rigged plastics into the weeds and weed edges. does this make sense to you?

It sure does. Anytime you can place a bait on top of a non agressive smallie good things can happen.A bait with little to no weight with the tantilizing action of a tube maybe all it takes to get a strike. I still would work zaras and poppers but I would move them at an extremely slow speed. I have actually witness smallies sit right below or behind a bait for what seemed to be an eternity before I got them to strike.
    Good luck
    Joe

Default thanks

I intentionally never threw to weeds on the river for smallies. will have to give that a try this year. Herbie from 9 Mile says the river is as low as he can ever remember and he's like eighty years old. I guess when we find holes we will find fish..

Default just got back

the fishing was nothing short of fantastic. i can't even remember how many smallies we boated. some walleye and catfish. moved a big muskie the last day there.

Default St. Croix Kid

Congrats on your recent fishing success. How big were the smallies?? The water levels on the area lakes have risen due to the rains this week. I could not tell you how the fishing was last week because I was on Vermilion for a few days. Nasty weather, high winds and rain but we still managed to get the muskie up. I heard of some BIG muskies caught buy a few fishermen from my area of wisconsin but i cant confirm anything. I believe a 56,53, and 51 by 1 angler. Awesome.
    Good luck fishing
    Joe Brezinski

Joe
    the size was much better than the last couple of years. I have been fishing that stretch every year since 1997. the last couple of years I was frankly disappointed by the size. this year was much different. I personally caught at least 2 dozen fish over 14" and a few that approached 17" No real big bruisers but a 17" riverine smallie will flat wear you out! That muskie came after a smallmouth I had hooked. I was wading and didn't have a lure or pole big enough to go after him. I know where he's at. he's been in that hole for a couple of years. it's either him or another fish that may have replaced him.

I would say that you have the smallies dialed in!!! I think some anglers expect to catch 20" smallies and if they don't its a ##### day. I would love to have action all day long and catching fish in the 17" range can really put up a fight in the river. By the way where did you say that muskie was located? Just kidding!!
    Take Care
    Joe

the action was non stop. don't get me wrong there were lots of 12" fish also but overall the size was great. a 20" is rare there but we have caught them.

drop me your e-mail to kornflambeau@yahoo.com
    i know the guy who we rent canoes from wants that fish out of there. screwing up his walleye hole. it's a biggun. we've moved it two years in a row. use something that looks like a smallie because he chews them up. the thing about that hole is if you take a muskie out of there another one will replace it.