www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Report 7/15

Default Musky Report 7/15

Muskie fishing in the Three Lakes and Eagle River area has been outstanding!!! Multiple fish days have been happening very frequently and there are a few patterns that have been working consistently. Muskies that last week remained unresponsive to shallow presentations are now out on the prowl and actively searching for food over shallow weed flats and rock bars. The active fish can be caught by using fast moving search baits such as bucktails, topwaters and spinnerbaits. Shallow running cranks have also been taking fish too. One thing to remember, especially when fishing shallow, is to pay special attention to lure color. Look to sunlight conditions such as percent cloud cover in order to choose the correct color. Bright, sunny conditions have been calling for gold and silver (metallic) patterns while darker conditions have called for darker, more opaque shades such as burnt orange or copper. Using a search and finesse tactic, we mark any fish that do not immediately strike and then come back later and catch them at a more opportune time, many times with slower moving lures that can trigger strikes.

To continue with my last post which discussed targeting muskies after dark – let me say this…you are missing out if you are not fishing when the sun goes down! It is time to turn into a vampire and hit your favorite lakes at night. Go after that big fish that you simply could not get to hit during the day or hit that lake that has only been producing lazy follows. Pick a lake that you know very well as darkness can be a dangerous time to fish if you are unfamiliar with the shoreline. As mentioned before, I use all the same baits normally used during the day with the exception of topwaters at night.

Fish deep if you are not seeing the action in the traditional shallow water haunts….that is all I need to say here.

The final pattern that emerges every season and that has continued to put fish in the boat this year is waiting for the “last light lunker.” This is when during the evening, a scenario develops when you have not had much action and the fish are unresponsive to almost all presentations. Save your absolute best spot and hit it right after the sun has already set, once it is getting dark. You will generally see a good fish come out of nowhere are smash whatever lure you are throwing thanks to the transition period, from light to darkness.

Give these techniques a try and keep fishing hard!

Good luck,

Chas Martin
    www.muskymastery.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andrewmuskiejuly09webedition.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	5905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	johnwmuskiewebedition1.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	5907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andrew2muskiejuly09V2.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	5908  
    Chas Martin
    Musky Mastery Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.muskymasteryguideservice.com

Default Active Muskies

I fished the Three Lakes chain the week after the 4th of July and the action was "Hot". I caught 6 muskies ranging in size from 32 to 40 inches. The big fish came during the moon rise the day of the full moon. Crappie action was also good, but with the active musky bite I spent more time casting. All of the fish came on bucktails with one being caught on a suick. I also attached a pic of a beautiful Tiger I caught last year over the week of the 4th.

Name:	42tiger2.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	5967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40inchrelease.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	5970  
    Last edited by Tom Forman; 07-17-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Tom,

Congrats on the monster tiger!! That is an awesome fish and nice picture and release shot. Hope I can run into her some time soon!

Chas Martin
    www.muskymastery.com
    Chas Martin

Chas,

Yes, she was a beauty and had incredible markings. My best musky to date. I too hope that I can run into that fish again someday. Best of luck on the water to you and I just hope i can get back up north for one more trip.

Name:	tigerrelease.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	5971  

Was the tiger the 40 incher? Very thick fish!
    Chas Martin

Chas,

The Tiger was 42 inches and I caught him in the exact spot as the 40 incher. Here is another pic of the fish I caught last week. Not sure if you remember me but I was at the proguide shop last week asking about the Rumbler baits. We talked a lil musky fishing and I told u I was getting them on bucktails and you were still having luck with the deeper bite on bulldawgs.

Name:	40 incher.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	5974  
    Last edited by Tom Forman; 07-17-2009 at 01:16 PM.