www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Questions and Steamboat

Default Questions and Steamboat

Helllo, I will be staying a a resort on Steamboat Bay the first week of August. Not from being around this part of the country I am wondering how to tell the cabbage from the other weeds? Where would one find bigger pike near this area? Walleyes? Is the perch fishing good in this bay in August? Any help and pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

I stayed there last year and had success fishing the long line of weed beds(rice beds i believe they are called) that run through the lake, kind of hard not to see, for bass and pike. look for submerged cabbage just off the point of those weeds for pike. you should be able see this vegetation about a foot or so beneath the surface. we didn't catch to many walleye in this area, but i would recommend going through the narrows and fish out by goose island for walleye trolling shad raps. we had our best success for the eyes there while also catching numerous pike while trolling. hope this helps. good luck wish i was going back there! oh and at least while we where there the perch where hittin our rapalas while fishing for the eyes. the actually became a pain in the neck. it seems like you can find them anywhere although not very large. oh and by the way if its your first time there, b/c it was my 1st last year, be careful of the weather, it can get nasty in a hurry and the lake can produce crazy waves. our boat ended up under water on our last night when it went from calm to 60 mph winds in like 10 min. kind of scary thank god we barely made it to shore
    Last edited by timmyb81; 07-14-2009 at 12:47 PM.

hey,
    Me and my family just came home from a weeks stay at steamboat. Take note that our last week we did not have very good weather. We seem to find most of our walleye north of goose island, and around sand point. We did pick up a few of nice northern as well while we were trolling for eye's. Like the other guy said watch the weather for sure. its gets pretty nasty out there with a 20 to 30 mph wind. While we were there the bait of choice was a jig and leech in about 10 to 13 ft. of water. our bite started off around 7 pm and lasted till around 9 pm. hope this helps.