Walleye Fishing was excellent in May and June.

Now in July, as surface water temperatures move above 70 degrees and this year's spring minnow hatch growing rapidly, Walleye anglers have been trying many combinations in both shallow and deep water. Night Crawlers and Leeches can prove valuable when so many small fish roam the shallows.

We suggest targeting Walleyes in the early morning hours or in the evening. During mid-day, grab your light weight Crappie rod, a stand-up bobber, a small hook and a splitshot. There are places you will catch Crappie, Perch and Rock Bass one right after another. Tip the same hook with a night crawler or a leech and you may find there's Sunfish in the same area. Got a favorite Largemouth Bass Lure? Cast that weedless lure into the pads and hold on.

Northern Pike and Musky dominate the outside edges of the weeds. Anchoring in a spot where you can bobber fish on one side of the boat or cast for big fish on the other, can make for a fun day.

Do you know someone who likes to "troll all day for Walleyes" and never anchor? That's not me. And I'm not saying it's wrong. Those who do that will be leaving the Crappies, Sunfish and Largemouth Bass for the rest of us. I happen to enjoy the flavor of a hot Crispy Fried Crappie Fillet that was landed in these clear and clean Headwaters.

Oak Haven Resort enjoys a year long Fishing Contest (by length) for our Registered Guests. Costs nothing to enter, has no pay-off. Just names listed on the wall in the Lodge and Fish Cleaning House for the top ten of each species. As of July 11th or Top Ten Crappies have all been 13 5/8 inches to 14 1/8 inches. (Mouth closed, tail squeezed together). Our Top Ten Largemouth Bass are all 18-20 inches (see Pictures in Photo Gallery, 2009 Wall of Fame)...but our Giant Bluegill and Sunfish will come in July and August.

Oak Haven Resort is Secluded. It's Quiet. There's no litter. No profanity. No Pets. Clean beds. People are friendly and respectful of others.

If you've had a bad experience at another resort with someone's noise or someone's pet....try Oak Haven. It may be the clean and quiet place you've been looking for.

2010 Note - We are seeking two Seasonal Campers to fill sites # 3 and # 5 for 2010. (Both have water, sewer and electric) Call now to discuss rates and other details.