www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Water temps dropping

Default Water temps dropping

Two weeks ago they were 74, last week 68, today 63.

I'm still fishing shallow sand/new weeds and seeing/catching fish but for the most part they're 26-37". Anything I should be doing different? I've thought about trolling open water off the breaks maybe.

The mornings seem to be the best time.

I'm surprised you've seen the temps drop so much lately. Are you fishing lakes or rivers? I've seen very gradual warming water temps this last week - up to about 73 on a near 1000 acre, relatively clear lake with a decent amount of deep basin.

I'm certainly no expert, but I think big fish like to relate to the basin for a pretty good percentage of the year. No necessarily IN the basin, but at least on structure near he basin. You might want to try moving out a little and fishing the deep edges of structure or even suspended depended on the lake?

Sorry, I should let Tanner answer first. I have a feeling he might know a little more about this than I do.

curleytail

Just read your post again. I have been fishing mid day/evening. Maybe the nights have been cold enough for the water to get back down into the 60s in the morning, especially shallow.

Sometimes deeper, basin type water doesn't go through such rapid temperature swings as shallow water does. Maybe the bigger fish would prefer that stability.

Ok, back to letting Tanner give you the real answer.

I'm fishing the St Louis river.

Jason,
    we have been having some cold nights, but also where you are fishing the wind blowing of lake superior will cool the water down really quick, keep fishing the spots you are, the big fish are there.

Good luck,
    Tanner Wildes
    Captain Tanner Wildes Guide Service
    Tanner Wildes
    Web Site: http://www.tannerwildes.com

Default Cold temps!!!

Any new updates on water temps in the Winter/Hayward areas???
    I hope they aren't dropping too awful fast and shutting the fish down??

Anybody know what the temps are as of late???