www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: New to Leech Lake

Default New to Leech Lake

I will be coming to Leech Lake for the first time this weekend. I will be staying and fishing by Headquarters and Boy Bay and am looking to fish for northern pike. On other lakes, I like to troll with spoons for pike. Just looking for advice on how to fish this area of the Leech for Pike? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Pike

The area you are staying is a very weedy bay. It is a great area for bass and pike. You can also try Miller Bay, it is not far. The larger pike usually go deep as the water warms. Troll some crank baits like shad raps, you will catch pike and walleyes.
    Jim Murphy's Guide Service
    Jim Murphy

Web Site; http://www.jimmurphyguide.com

OK thanks, how deep are the northern right now with the water temperature. Is it a good idea to troll the weed lines with spoons or are they in deeper water that i am better to get the shad wraps?

Default pike masters

all we really fish for is pike, your staying at the right place. over in boy bay there is a row of houses on the left side. Just troll mepps # 5 inline spinner bait. out by the weeds try to stay in 7' 9' foot of water. We cought 593 pike in two weeks right there. if its sunny troll white or yellow buck tails and if there is no sun troll black or brown tails. Hope you will give a report when you get back.

Shane.

Ps our record for most fish is
    3 people 2 1/2 hours 52 pike
    4 people 6 hours 84 pike.
    Last edited by tralerman; 07-10-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Talking Bear Island

Hello Tralerman, I will be up in a couple of weeks fishing the south end of Bear Island, I was wondering if the #5 Mepps work on that end. I have fished out of Battle Point Lodge many years ago, where are the cabins that you are talking about from them. My family and I had moderate luck last year hoping you could get us on to more pike this year. Sure sounds like you had great luck a couple of weeks ago. Any advise will be greatly appreciated, Thanks the Pikester Family.

#5 mepps in white or yellow great casting baits for northern. Spinnerbaits and Spoons are great for trolling or casting in most of areas adjacent to Battle Point, Headquarters, Black Duck, Little Stoney, Narrows. Lots of great perch fishing in 8 feet of water the entire area.
    Good Luck,
    Don
    djwilliams
    Ames, Iowa

We returend from Leech a few days ago. We had ok luck for the northern when we were able to get on the lake, We had 4 days of bad weather, 30 mph winds, so those three days we did not even go on Leech. The northern we caught on Leech were decent size, 3+ lbs. The days that the weather was too bad we trailered and went to a different lake, not sure what the name of it was as there were no signs up, but we killed the northern there. Two 6 pounders and a 7 pounder all within about 30 minutes and filled out limit with 2 and 3 pounders. I had to tagged this lake on my Tom Tom though so we could make it back there next year.