www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Perching this coming weekend 7-11-09

Default Perching this coming weekend 7-11-09

Don or anyone else out there ---

Have you any recent word if the perch are biting strong yet at 95th street?

So far as I am concerned it has not been so good....

I have been out the last two Saturday’s with two boats of fishermen and caught 40 fish between 7 guys two weeks ago and only 6 fish between 6 guys this past Friday. Using soft crawls. Not too good.

Most of the other boats out there had similar results. We just have not had the hard bite yet. Or have I missed it.

Any comments or commentary would be welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Tom

Isn't perch fishing closed for July to adults? July last I heard is only open to kids fishing for perch no adults. Unless the IL. powers that be realized how goofy that rule is and repealed it.
    Cross them eyes!!!

Default 95th street Cal Park Perch Action?

Ed,

I'm fishing Indiana waters. I launch from Hammond, IN and Have an Indiana Annual License with Salmon stamp. 95th street is about a 8 minute boat ride north. I also purchase annual non resident license in Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota and Canada every year. And I posess an Illinois license with a salmon stamp.. So I'm good to go. I consider the money I spend for the licenses a good donation to wildlife and DNR in each state. I've been doing this for years. I've also met a few people who don't pruchase license and think that is just plain wrong.

Anyhow I'm still looking for 95th Street (Cal Park) fishing reports.

Tom

My Bad. I had assumed 95th st, meant you were fishing in IL. Wasn't sure if you knew or not, many people forget about it. Other than the Suntimes report of fish being caught, havent heard of anything. Good luck.
    Cross them eyes!!!

Thanks Ed.

I feel better now.

But you have a valid point for those that do not know - Illinois licensed fishermen are not allowed to fish for Lake Michigan Perch in July. (unless you are under 15 (or 16?) years of age.
    I do believe in the fact all fishermen must purchase a current valid license before fishing in any state and obey the rules. It is all for a good cause - and allows us to have some fun.

Tom

I was out of Hammond Harbor on Sunday the 5th and picked up 14 13 inchers inside and then headed towards Jerose Park and found them schooled up in about 37 ft of water. I was fishing medium and baby roaches, soft shells did nothing. I hit all fish bottom bouncing, surprisingly most of the perch came on the medium roaches....bigger the bait bigger the catch is my motto. Ended up with 25 perch between 3 of us. I agree though it did seem like slim picking and had to work to find them. Started marking big blobs on the Lowrance and sure enough they were there. I'm not really sure what their summer patterns are but when in doubt go deep.

Default Perch 7-11-09

Actually we went out 7-11. We were on the water at 5:30 right after the rainstorm. Launched at Hammond and drove to Cal park (in the boat) Limited out by 10:30. Two guys 30 fish. I don't think other boats did as well and there were not that many boats out there. I find it VERY interesting you found the fish deep in 37 feet. We were in 15.5 feet. Where do you go specifically for the 37'?

Tom

We fished inside by the river on the weed beds and then headed southeast past the break wall towards Jerose Park. The 37' was north of the wall as it turns and heads towards the Cline street launch ( Jerose Park or East Chicago Marina to be specific). I basically was watching some Charters circling around and had to see for myself. It had also stormed on the 4th so my guess was the pushed out that day and I stumbled on them. My thinking always is when doubt go deeper. Thanks for the report probably going to head out there this weekend.

So Dan,

I realize Your post is over a month ago, but for the record, you were in 37 feet of water as you headed south east from Cal Park - 95th street weedbed? If not please clarify. Thanks
    Tom

Just as I had stated, out past the breakwall heading towards cline street. The depth drops off slowly but for the most part is in the 30 ft range but when I marked the fish the graph was reading 37 ft. Maybe there is a hole right there not known and i found it.....not sure.

Thanks Dan. I wasn't clear on your specific directions. I always thought that 95th street breakwall heades straigh south towards Hammond. I can't phathom it correlating anywhere near Cline ave. But maybe that is just me. I'm always wanting to learn what little I can to help make the experience of fishing the darn lake more enjoyable thanks for taking the time to answer I just wanted to have that information for the record.
    Tom

Default Perch

Where have the perch gone , any one been out on lake michigain , last day out from Portage to Michigan city no fish . Did they go deep out into the lake or moving back towards cal park ?