www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: report 7/4

Default report 7/4

despite a cold front arriving last sat with n n/w winds 30-40,rain,and water temps dropping from low 70's to low 60's in a matter of several days fishing remained verygood/excellent though patterns changed and fishermen/guides had to adapt and fish out of the wind for the first 1/2 of the week.thurs-sat nice weather returned and water temps are rising again into the upper 60's and should reach 70's again by sun.
    end of last week 1st part of this past week walleyes were on an excellent bite the first 1/2 of the week on flats and emerging weeds 6-14' .humps were very sporatic and spotty fishing.
    as the week progressed the bigger fish made a move and a terrific sand and marled rock hump bite emerged last 2-3 days of the week at 18-24' and should continue.still lots of fish on the flats but mostly small. it remains to be seen if there will be a major move back by the bigger fish on the flats now that water is warming again and mayflys starting to hatch and i would assume some groups will but with so many fish midlake now many will now stay i'm sure. there were many 60-100+ fish days last week with alot of fish of all sizes and year classes but the hump bite was primarlily 22-28" fish.
    the diana group fished through the worst first part of the week with guides and had some of the best walleye fishing they've experienced in canada on many trips despite the weather avg. 60+ fish per boat/day under severe conditions on the sheltered flats with lots of eaters,slots, and some nice fish to 28".the humphals fished with travis thurs and creamed em' on the humps.the curnutts fished with danny fri first time fishing walleyes and had a day to remember boating 150+ fish 70% of which were 22"-28" and a 49" muskie. both the rohrers and burhardts had 200+ fish days on 4wds and fly-ins and great days on eagle with fish boated to 30".
    on the flats jigs and minnows were main presentations though gulp and plastics produced well even better than live bait on some spots when aggressive competing groups of fish were found. spinners and cranks also now producing very well.
    tip;
    as the water cooled off and with extended high winds for several days the calmer lee side spots produced much better as they were a few degrees warmer and easier to fish and conmtrol the boat,as the warm weather and sun arrived warming surface temps back up the wind blown spots was much better as breezes pushed the warmer water into them. for now look for the wind to be your friend and consistant catches especially when fishing shallower.
    on the humps rigging far put produced jigs with minnows and jumbo leeches now kicking in strong as a prefered bait .crawlers catching fish but with the large numbers of young year classes of perch especially in the weeds it's frustrating tap-tap tap bait gone. as the crayfish start to molt soon on the humps they will be a choice to consider.
    all in all walleye fishing is reaching the next level and if it continues to improve it could be one of the best years ever coming up.tremendous multiple year classes of all sizes showing up.
    bass have for the most part completed spawning with only a few males still guarding nests. females been gone for better part of a week moving to nearby rocky shorelines,points and rock reed combos.with the wind and water roiled up sight fishing was impossible plus they are more scattered so covering ground with topwaters,spinnerbaits,flukes,and jigs /gulp-plastics and leeches were best .tom sterner fished with danny on wed. and they boated 60+ fish to 21 1/2" with all but a very few 17-19".the burkhardts and rohrers had 100+ fish days avg 14-17" with some 18's on a 4wd lake.
    some big pike now showing up while casting muskys in best developing weed beds, the vitas and moherman groups had fish 43-44" last week.
    at the end of last week it appeared the muskies were ready to really start going and with the rapid drop in water temps (over 12 degrees in 3 days) i feared the worse but all in all it wasn't to bad.they were affected some as they were right on the edge after just completing spawning last week in many areas and the rapid drop in water temps (remember 1 degree of water temp change is equls to 7-10 to us and they got no coats to put on or take off)only 1 group really concentrating on muskys 100% and they (the van koppels) caught fish to 48" and chasing some bigger,the vitas got a 42 and a 44" and lost 2 dandys one 50+ with me on thurs.and we had 12 up 3 that looked to be in that same class , wed i got a 53" off the dock!!! the curnutts got a 49 with danny fri..and cal had a 48.
    i've seen it better but all in all just coming off spawning,the weird weather it could be much worse and now with the stable weather and warming water temps,beds beds thickening up,etc they should kick in big time in the next week or so. the waqy they started to crank up end of last week before the front hit it won't take much.
    been mostly blade baits #8's,9's,and thurs fri some 10's started moving fish. minnow baits like shallow invaders and double d's in walleye and perch patterns,bulldawg,were moving fish especially early in the week when water temps were colder.
    been alot of weeds but fish on shallow rocks and rock weed combos also.topwater should start moving fish good by weeks end.

AND YA I KNOW I NEED TO GET A BUNCH OF THIS YEARS PICS UP I WILL SHORTLY ,GOT SO MANY NOW CAUSE I BEEN PROCRASTINATING I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START BUT I WILL FOR YOU ALL TO SEE.

while fishing has been very good definatly the best is yet to come.
    still got one cabin open july 11-18 and one 18-25. aug 22-oct 3 we got some scattered opening throughout,great time to be on the water and big fish.
    lots mof folks booking last minute so if you're one of em' contemplating give us acall for availablity rates,recomendations,options,or to just talk fishing.
    888 727 5865
    info@andymyerslodge.com
    www.andymyerslodge.com
    TAKE CARE AND GOOD FISH'N!!!
    STEV HERBECK
    AML
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Herbie,
    Thanks for putting together the report. I know how hard it is to make the time to do it with all the other stuff you have to do to keep the camp running, but nobody else has regularly updated, honest reports that really show how the season is unfolding on Eagle Lake. When I read one of your posts I can visualize what the fish are doing and what the days on the lake are like now. It is a gift to all of us who have to make do with our fantasies until it's time for our annual trip north. Thanks,
    Bill Hedden

Smile Fishing update

Amen! I have never yet visited Herbie's place, but I will someday, Lord willing. I too look forward to his postings.

Steve

Default Question

Heading up to Eagle this Saturday. Can anyone tell me some of the current hot spots for walleye and northern on the east side. Would very much appreciate the information.

Default Herbie

We Haven't Fished The East Side For Walleye Or Pike This Season But The Patterns Should Be The Same.
    Pike Will Be Both In The Cabbage And On Humps As Will The Walleye As Mayflys Are Just Winding Down,not A Real Bad Hatch This Year As Water Temps Flucuated So Much.
    On The Humps 22-28' And In The Weeds 8-12'.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Herbie. When Fishing A Hump 22-28' Are You Talking About A Hump That Tops Out At That Depth Or Any Hump That Might Top At 10' But Just Fish On A Side 22-28' ?

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herbeck View Post
    We Haven't Fished The East Side For Walleye Or Pike This Season But The Patterns Should Be The Same.
    Pike Will Be Both In The Cabbage And On Humps As Will The Walleye As Mayflys Are Just Winding Down,not A Real Bad Hatch This Year As Water Temps Flucuated So Much.
    On The Humps 22-28' And In The Weeds 8-12'.
    Thanks Steve,

One other quick question - How have the fly-ins to Oak Lake been and are the patterns there about the same

Default herbie

lorango,
    up to yesterday thats correct,it really doesn't matter if you can see exposed rock,tops off at 5,15,,20,25,or it's a mainland or island point, the active depths have centered around 22-30' when fishing humps however there are alot of fish using weeds and flats again also,not all fish are doing the same things as forage bases/opportunitys are quite broad right now with lots of perch,minnows,cisco,and bug hatches all going on and available,they go where the food is.

steve,
    we have only flown into oak once and it was good,have been using smaller dark water lakes with much better success,actually it's been nuts.
    also lots have been staying on eagle and doing 4wds with guides because it's been so good.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herbeck View Post
    lorango,
    up to yesterday thats correct,it really doesn't matter if you can see exposed rock,tops off at 5,15,,20,25,or it's a mainland or island point, the active depths have centered around 22-30' when fishing humps however there are alot of fish using weeds and flats again also,not all fish are doing the same things as forage bases/opportunitys are quite broad right now with lots of perch,minnows,cisco,and bug hatches all going on and available,they go where the food is.

steve,
    we have only flown into oak once and it was good,have been using smaller dark water lakes with much better success,actually it's been nuts.
    also lots have been staying on eagle and doing 4wds with guides because it's been so good.
    Thanks Herbie,

You are truly appreciated for your knowledge and willingness to help others and share information