www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Report (July 2nd)

Default Musky Report (July 2nd)

Oh how us fishermen love coldfronts!!! I was in Canada last week with my brother and dad enjoying the best weather we've had this year so I couldn't have asked for better weather during the trip. We ended up getting 12 muskies in the boat in 6 days, with the biggest being a nice 48". On LOTW (Nestor Falls), the fish were almost all caught on WTD's with the Weagle taking a few more than the jackpot. I had a decent northern smack the jackpot right as a storm was rolling in and just after it hit, I felt a ton of weight on the rod and then it was gone. I figured I knew what happened...and sure enough, I get the northern to the boat and there's 2 big gash marks from a nice musky in it. After the northern was on the side of the boat for about 5 seconds, up comes about a 50" musky....figures! We also fished Crow Lake quite a bit and managed quite a few fish all on bucktails.

Northern Wisconsin - I came back to a nice old coldfront on Sunday, but we still decided to check out a lake that we've really been wanting to hit. Deeper and clearer, but we couldn't get anything going deep so I threw on a Weagle...wasn't much longer until I had a 40" in the net. We also got another 40" and a nice 45" on another WTD. On Tuesday, we got two more on WTD's both were mid to upper-30" fish within 15 minutes of moonrise. Yesterday (Wednesday), we fished another new lake and hit the best spot right at moonrise and it paid off with a beautiful 43" musky on a Homewrecker (WTD topwater). Very interesting to see how we've been able to get shallow fish going on topwater during this ridiculous coldfront. The moonrise has definitely been the key the past few days and be sure to be on your best spot before, during and after the rise. Surprisingly, we haven't been able to get much going deeper on soft plastics, cranks, or spinners at all...that's usually the key to these coldfronts for us; however, I've read another report that was saying go deep. I guess the only thing to do is chuck lures and let the fish do the talking. With the 4th coming up this weekend, the cold front is supposed to snap and we'll finally be getting some nice weather. We've got two trips planned next week to try and get some really neat footage. Hope everyone has a great and safe 4th and is able to get out in the boat or in the woods to enjoy the outdoors.
    -Jake Bucki

P.S. Congrats to Mark and Clay on their 1st place at Squirrel...now, they'll have to go back to back on the Mani Chain to repeat last year's success. Below are a few pics of the fish from Canada.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jake2.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	5631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jake3.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	5632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jason1.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	5633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jasonniceone.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	5634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dadbigone.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	5635  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jasonsmallie.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	5636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jake1.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	5637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jake4.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	5638  

Default Great report

Thanks for the great report. The recent cold front did not slow down action for us either. That is awsome you are sticking some topwater fish here in Wisconsin. For the last few years I have spent so much time in deep water that when I caught two on top this year (one on jackpot one on a top raider) I just want to figure out certain lakes and times of the year that I can get good top water action. Sounds like you have a good start to the season hopefully it keeps rolling for you.
    Gordy Hastreiter
    Badfish Outdoors
    Web Site: www.badfishoutdoors.net

Default Report

Great Report Jake! Sounds like some awesome topwater fish!

Once again I fished the phelps area lakes and they were a ZOO! So my expectations weren't that high. My wife salvaged the weekend with a 32" and 39" both on bucktails and both ate on the 8. Both fish were relating to deep weeds. So I was very excited for her! We fished dawgs and cranks and did not move a fish on them. Other then that we took the kids panfishing and they had an absolute blast. Friday i'll be on my way to the Northwest Angle of LOTW's for a week. Cant wait.

Mr Musky

Thanks for the report Jake, and keep'm coming! Sounds like you guys are doing well, hope the video is starting to shape up for you. Maybe sometime later this summer we can get together and grab a beverage.

JS
    J.Sloan
    Badfish Outdoors
    Producer/Cameras/Editor
    Web Site: http://www.badfishoutdoors.net

Default zak olson

hey medford fisher, were you in the cabin at red deer lodge for the opener? I'm the kid that stayed right next to you guys with my brother, dad (Dave Olson) and two other guys in the rangers

Hey Zak,

Yes, I was in the cabin next to you guys. Did you guys get any on your last day? I was also going to ask if you had any footage from over on Crow; I thought your dad mentioned you had one of them on film. I never got to ask where you guys are from either.

Hope the rest of the summer's been treating you well, Jake

yeah I got a 38 and my dad lost a nicer fish. We got 4 all together in our first 2 days on crow. That lake is saweet man, I cannot wait to get back up there, we are going to red deer for opener again next year. Yes we got some footage of my 43incher from Crow and my first 36 swimming away in the ultra clear water, which was pretty cool. We also got some cool video over on LOTW with some muskies and big pike. You guys sure know how to catch fish up there.

This summer has been treating me good I've got 8 on pewaukee this summer, my girlfriend has 7 and got her personal best a 44incher out there. My dad got a 48 too, huge girth on it....we are having our best year by far on pewaukee so it's going good. Heading up to Andy Myer's Lodge July 24th so looking forward to it.