www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Abu Garcia 6500

Default Abu Garcia 6500

I have the chance to pick up 4 of these reels. They are from the mid ninties and brand new. Anyone have an idea as to their worth.
    Thanks in advance.
    BigwoodSG

Default Rfrg

They're worth having, the 6500's were good reels if you don't mind the side button style. Their worth...? Jeez... brand new? I believe they're going for 80bucks or so each. Check out a 6500 in a bait shop I guess.

Current retail on a 6500 C3 is $89.99 so anywhere south of that for a NEW reel is not a bad deal. If they are in fact new (not reconditioned, in original box with paperwork, warantee, etc.) then I would suppose something in the range of $60.00 plus or minus would be a decent price. If you can get them for that or less I would say you've got a pretty good deal on your hands. The 6500 C3's are a good reel and a friend once compared them to an AK47 rifle. They'll take a lot of abuse and keep working. Now the older ones like you describe will have the older style handles, probably no plastic thumbrest (don't need it anyway) and will be pre-carbon matrix drag systems. Don't expect these reels to be silky smooth like a $300 reel but if you're looking for something that is a good functioning, multi-purpose workhorse you may have just found a heck of a good buy.

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Default Rfrg

"the AK-47 of reels"... yup, that sums it up pretty good.