www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Weather & Moon

Default Weather & Moon

What in the world is up with the weather up there.. We're heading up in a few weeks and have no idea what to pack! Shorts and tee's or flannel and long johns.. LOL.. Little of both I guess...

re: Moon phases.. What cycle of the moon phases are considered the most productive in producting fish? I know it also depends on weather fronts etc but, in a perfect world, is a New Moon phase better or worse than a Full moon phase?

Sid:

The answer to your question will depend on who answers it, I am guessing. I personally try to know what time every thing rises and sets. With regard to the moon and the solunar table, I haven't taken a lot of time to check this accurately, but I think the moon over and moon under are closely related to the major and minors in the solunar table, similar to the tides on the ocean. You can cipher those times by figuring out how many hours are in between each event and then dividing them in half to determine when each is. Some people believe that these are more important than the other stuff. I then try to keep an eye on all of them or any of them that might coincide with my fishing time on the water. Then if you can get 'ol Ma nature to send you a front while you are close to one of those times, get ready!!! I'll let the boys chime in though. Bottom line is: Be out on the water, and don't miss the Blues Fest!!!

Mark

Hi Mark and thank ya! If the weather that Saturday is so that being on the water is out of the question then yeah, we'll be at the Blues Fest.. I don't own a boat so I look forward to the time up there fishing more than I should, I think! LOL.. Hope to run into ya Mark - either on the chain or at the Radio Show?? Or Both! We'll be the two yokels on a WEL Pontoon.. :-)

Default Rfrg

Moon, smoon... if you're on the water fishin'... it's a good time to fish...

Sid - based on my experience from the past two years, last year we were up during full moon phase and this year during new moon; I'd go with the full moon being better. I caught my largest Muskie to date on the day of the full moon and a second fish, which would have been my biggest if not for the earlier one, on the same day. This year, nada, not even a follow until the last day of our two week stay. I hope your fishing success exceeds ours...

Moon phases seem to be the most accurate when weather conditions remain stable. In my experience weather trumps moon phase 9 out of 10 times. Now that is not to say that the solunar tables are to be discounted but as Matt said. Anytime you can get on the water is good. There's always a hungry or dumb fish around somewhere.

Pete Stoltman Regular Fishin' Regular Guys
    www.rfrgoutdoors.com
    rfrgoutdoors2@gmail.com
    (715) 614-4142

Matt, Jeremy, Pete - thank ya.. I honestly never thought about it until I heard Matt doing moonrise and set times on the radio show and I started googling.. :-) Got me curious..

Jeremy, this year we're arriving on a half moon day - it will go to new moon and back to half before we leave.. So, based on your luck this last time, we're hosed, huh? Well, I'll sure try anyway, and it's a good thing I enjoy floating around on the lakes as much as I do fishing! :-)

Thanks fellows!!

Sid:

NO YOUR NOT HOSED!!! The stars just didn't align properly for Jeremy this trip. That's been happening to me for two years now!!! As Matt and Pete said you have to fishing to be catching!!! Now I know that some of the pundits say that fishing can be better during the new than the full. Especially if you are fishing at night. But I believe that you have to be fishing to be catching, I just look at all the variables to see if it could be really good or I am going to be surprised. It also might keep me on the water a little longer depending on what info there is relating to the moon, sun or weather!!! Some guys feel the half moon day is a good day to be out as well and you get two of those!!!.

Sid, never have been on the chain, let alone fished the Chain since I moved up here in '94. I would like to fish it and the Three Lakes one as well. Hopefully I will get over to the show on a night while you around. I know part of it I will be over in MN at Mille Lacs...

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Benson; 07-02-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Yeah, we'll be around for the shows on the 19th and 26th, Mark. Come if ya can, I'll buy ya something cold! And I hear ya! On the water fishing is what I plan to be doing! Well, that and eatin good and pickin a little and sleepin.. Fish all day, have a decent meal, play and sing for a while and go to bed. Repeat x10. That's the plan! :-) So if I don't boat some fish it won't be for lack of tryin..

Default Rfrg

Hey dere Sid... here's a photo for ya...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan n Dave 41in.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	5647

Of note in this photo of Dan n Dave isn't the 41 inch fish, no, it's the clothing they're wearing and the fact this photo was taken yesterday evening, 7/2/09.

Yikes! Eh? Don't worry, be happy. It's supposed to slowly warm over the next few days, should be nice for your visit but... just in case, pack some flannel n long johns.

Default Rfrg

Here's a very dangerous photo...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG2389.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	5648

Notice how the paint job on the very expensive boat (a beautiful Ranger 522 Commanche) just happens to match my truck perfectly... just me looking at this photo could lead to an impulsive purchase... not like I've ever done that before.

Offhand, the boat is a friend's and I had pulled it out of the water for them.
    Last edited by Muskie Matt; 07-03-2009 at 07:13 AM.

There's nothing wrong with your boat Matt.. Though that one DOES match the truck! LOLOL.. Tempting, I know...

Yea, long pants and a jacket are in order.. Maybe only need them early and late but need them I will it looks like.. Lets see, in 4 days you guys went from highs in the 90s to lows in the 40s.. a 50 degree swing.. DAYUM!!!

And by the end of the up coming week, they are calling for warm enough weather to get us into the mid to upper 80's.

Sid, I will be at Mille Lacs for sure on the 19th, but should be getting back into town (Minocqua) on the 26th. Just don't know how early. Got to clean the rental house before we leave, then just might try to fish one more time before I leave to come back on the 4 hour ride. When do you head back out???

Mark

Headin south early on the 27th, Mark... If I miss ya this time, there will be another! :-)

Sid:

Looks like we won't get to meet this trip, but I tell you I AM LOOKING FORWARD to fishing the new moon over there this trip. Hopefully between the wind and the bugs, Mother Nature will let us stay out later than dark if the rise/set is after dark!!!

Mark

Next time then... May the Fishing Gods & Goddesses smile on us both! :-) Have a safe trip, Mark!

You too Sid!!!

Mark

Hey Sid , Thought i would add my 2 cent's on moon phases , The more time fishing on the water trump's a moon phase any day , Since they're is more than one phase , the major & minor it's likely you'll be fishing during one of them . better to relax and enjoy the hunt for the mighty Mo. There is a little read, called moon secrets on Joe Bucher site , www.Joe-Bucher.com it's interesting . I like fishing at dawn and dusk the best, seem to have my best luck then. Have a good time and good luck Pan Fish

Dusk is a for sure, Panfish.. Maybe a few sunups too! The consensus is certainly - Be On The Water Fishin - and that's what we plan on doin! Thanks!

6 & a wake-up!