www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Report and WMT Squirrel Lake Results

Default Musky Report and WMT Squirrel Lake Results

Fishing conditions have changed dramatically since my last report almost a week ago with the effects of a cold front that has moved through the Vilas County area. With the cool day time temps in the mid 50’s, lake surface temps have really dropped quickly. On the deep, clear lakes the temps dropped from about 72 to 67 degrees and on the shallow, stained waters surface temps have dropped from almost 80 to 68 degrees. Fortunately the front has passed but even with these seemingly difficult conditions, we always find ways to catch fish!

The most consistent muskie bite is without a doubt, deep. Like I have said before, and I’m sure this is old news to many, I generally believe fish to be “lazy” in the sense that they are cold blooded creatures and that they do not want to exert any more energy than is needed to survive. So when those surface temps drop quickly, these fish simply move down vertically in the water column to a depth that is comfortable. I am no scientist so however you want to put it, go deep to find active muskies! This is a pattern that is sure to work for you when the chips are down. Fishing depths of 20 to even 40 feet has provided good action by targeting pods of baitfish and you can fish deep all day long. I have contacted some fish holding on shallow cover but it has not been very consistent in the last couple days like it was when we had more stable weather patterns. Just use your electronics to find the baitfish. Guided Neil today for muskies in some tough weather but we found some action - lost a large fish in the morning off a deep break and then boated two muskies in the eveing, all deep.

Smallmouth bass action has remained steady. Fishing depths of 3 to 15 feet on rock, gravel or wood structure has provided consistent action. Just as I said with muskies, if you are not finding success shallow, look a little deeper off the structure and you will find the active fish. I have also had some great walleye action fishing rock and gravel humps in the same general areas. A 1/16th or 1/8th oz jig with a 3 inch rubber worm or 5 inch rubber worm rigged wacky will get the job done.

WMT Squirrel Lake: Sunday brought some difficult fishing conditions with winds up to 30 mph and cool temps. There were only 7 muskies caught for the day. We caught a 40.5 inch muskie around 3PM, only the fourth fish of the day registered by that time, which would ultimately hold for a 2nd place finish. Lijewski and Schroeder were the only team to double-up and would go on to take first with 41.5 and 35.5 inch muskies. Most fish were caught deep. Congratulations to all the winners! I will post a picture from the tournament when they are released.

Good luck and stay versatile,

Chas Martin
    www.muskymastery.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeff'sguidetrip1.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	5606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WMT40.50inchV2.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	5610  
    Last edited by Chas Martin; 07-01-2009 at 10:55 AM.
    Chas Martin
    Musky Mastery Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.muskymasteryguideservice.com