www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: muskies later in year

Question muskies later in year

On 6/26/09 I returned from a weeklong fishing trip on Eagle Lake with 3 friends. We easily caught our limit of pike and walleye and caught a number of large pike in the 30-41" range. We only caught 3 muskies the largest of which was 41". The majority of these fish were caught casting in water less than 6' deep near reeds and our best fishing came when there was other vegetation between us and the reeds. Some members of the group were very disappointed with the low number of musky catches and the fact that we didn't even see very many muskies or have very many follows. We were on Eagle Lake last year at exactly the same time of year and we saw a lot more muskies, had a lot more follows and boated 7 muskies the largest of which were 48" and 50-1/2". So, some in the group think that next year we should go later in the year, say around mid-late July, in order to increase the number of musky contacts and catches. My fear is that if we do go later in the year we may see and catch more muskies but at the expense of not catching as many large pike and walleye. Those in my group will not jig or troll for fish. By that time of year I believe that the pike and walley will have moved to deeper water and established their summer patterns and we won't have as good a chance of catching them by casting the rock and weed edges in bays. So, if we go later and concentrate on musky and are not successful for whatever reason, we will have sacraficed our chances of catching large pike and walleye too. What are your thoughts on this matter?

My advice after many years would be: Pick a time of year and stick with it. Every year is different. Some years you'll hit it perfect. Other years may be a bit off. But over time, it will all even out.

Since you and your group seem to be more multispecies oriented, that may limit you guys in terms of times to go where you have the best chances at multispecies. Herbie can answer that for you as I am sure there are general times where all species' "peaks" overlap. I will say for sure that I have contacted fewer pike in mid-summer, and way more in the Fall.

One option may be to pick a good "musky time", and then for a change of pace go on a 4WD to a remote lake (offered by Herbie's staff) one day where you can catch limitless pike and walleye. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

Again, Herbie is the best person to answer specifics. But I'm just saying that if you keep "switching around" weeks you're going to drive yourself crazy trying to "time" it every year. It would be a classic case of "You should been here last week." It all evens out over time. Some years may be better than others; weather is THE major factor.

-Dan

Default herbie

nick,
    the week you picked is always a popular because of the diverse multi species opportunities and shallow water fishing. you did well on muskys last season and it was even a bit behind normal years after a late ice out.
    this season was also characterized by an abnormally cool spring and early june. even more so than last season.weed growth was behind scattering fish more than normal also.
    as you said walleye bass and trout fishing has been excellent,plus wee had a bunch of big pike boated to 44" the week you were on eagle.
    it is my assumption from what i saw that the muskies were just finishing spawning as well as we had our first prolonged spell of hot weather spiking the water temps from low 60's into the 70's. a 10+ degree fast jump in water temp or drop for that matter has somewhat of a shock on them especially if the targeted species is in the process of recouping or the water temps are below or on the edge of thier peak temp range.each 1 degree of water temp change is equal to 8-10 degrees in comparison to us,and they got no coats to put on or take off.
    i wouldn't take one year as a norm besides you did well on all the other species and you did catch some muskies,you might have been one cast away or 4' off from a monster at any time. i've seen really good musky fishermen during prime time not boat 3 muskys,sounds like you had a good trip.
    the following week if you were here you would have experienced rapidly dropping water temps high winds,cold weather and you maybe have said we'll go back to our origional week. weather plays the most important part and no one can predict that 6-12 months in advance when you book.
    wallyes have remained excellent maybe even a bit better depsite the weaqther and bss are still in bedding areas and females in post spawn areas nearby,we only have 1 group this week really concentrating on muskies and despite the weather have seen a bunch of big fish,boat a couple 48's and a couple 43-45" stuff and lost a real good one on thier 3rd cast.
    i just caught a 53 "er off the dock experimenting with a bait today!!
    Last edited by Steve Herbeck; 07-01-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    Andy Myers Lodge
    Steve Herbeck

Web Site: http://www.andymyerslodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herbeck View Post
    i just caught a 53 "er off the dock experimenting with a bait today!!
    That's awesome!!! You are on fire man. We're on a roll. I am freakin' dying to get in the boat with ya again. Soon enough. Keep the good karma going man!!!

-Dan

Wink

Catching a 53 incher off your dock is just sick. Hopefully you gave her a little pat on the head and told her to swim around for another 4 weeks and to beef up a little, there will be a good looking guy heading up to have a date with her.

Who needs guides--or boats? I'm fishing off Steve's docks all week!

Dave D