www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Fishing Report June 28

Default Fishing Report June 28

We have had a couple of days of rain and high winds, so fishing has been restricted to protected coves and points. The fishing has still remained very good. We have been fishing weed lines with jigs tipped with grubs or leaches. We have also had good luck with #8 and 9 Shad Raps. I have also been finding the larger walleyes fishing off the points in 14 to 20 feet of water. I have been fishing these fish with an 1/8 oz. jig and leach.
    The bass have pulled off the shoreline to the first break in about 5 to 8 feet of water, but are still taking a jig and grub or finesse worm presentation. The bass and the walleyes are both feeding on the crayfish in the shallower waters.
    The jigs and grubs have been a good combination for taking smaller northern out of the weed lines and off the shallow breaks. But the crank baits off the boulder points is still producing the bigger northerns in the 30 to 40 inch range.
    Musky fishing still remains slow. With the heavy winds the water temp has fallen below 70 degrees again and with everything being about 2 weeks behind normal the big fish have been rather had to find.
    Dick Wilkening
    Witch Bay Pro Staff

A couple of buddies were up at Camp for a short trip muskie fishing last Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Their report is as follows: weed growth is well behind normal for this time of year. They could find weeds, but the beds spotty. They didn't have any trouble finding fish, but getting them to eat was tough. They managed to get 2 fish in the boat, one was a 40" fish and the other was a small one they didn't measure. The 40" fish hit short on the retrieve and then hit on the figure 8, so it was hot. But, most of the fish were not very aggressive. They saw a number of fish in the mid to upper 40" range, but nothing over 50". The fish they did catch were caught on smaller baits. However, fish were following and nipping at double cow girls and some of the larger baits. Smaller bucktails caught both fish. Key spots were south facing and/or west facing bays -- pretty standard early season locations. Typically at this time of year they run into a lot of northerns while looking for muskies, but this time they didn't see that many -- probably due to the late weed growth.

Hey Dave, with sunny, warmer weather in the long range forecast we hope to see an increase in activity. We had a 50" fish caught today on a cowgirl so things are looking up already. See you guys in August

Wayne

Wayne -- Good to hear the fish are starting to move. I can't wait to get up there, but I'm thinking we might be glad we are waiting until the first of August. We won't be getting into camp until late on Sat. the 1st, but I'll try to track you down first thing at breakfast and maybe you can give us a run down of what's going on. I've been e-mailing back and forth with Jeff Sevcik. He's will be a first time Witch Bay guest, and he and his buddy will also be up there the first week of August. So, be sure to track him down as well.

Dave, I Walleye fished for most of the day but managed a couple hours of casting. I saw 4 different fish, 2 in the same spot, a big one and a smaller fish and the other 2 were in other weed areas. I am hopeing we can boat at least one of these fish tonight. Most of the action I am experiencing is on topwater and large spinnerbaits but mostly a Jackpot. The waters are warming so it can only get better. See you soon

Hi Wayne and Dave,

Can't wait to make our maiden voyage to Witch Bay! Dave's done one hell of a job in getting me psyched up these last few months. Wayne - save some of those big girls for us! We'll be arriving on 8/1 as well and look forward to meeting both of you guys and getting on the water.

Jeff Sevcik

Wayne -- One of the things that sets muskie fishing apart (at least for me) is the concept of going back after a fish you've seen before. Catching a fish is great, but going back and catching a fish is even better. Good luck on the hunt. As far as multiple fish on a spot, that's a fun topic. The more I fish muskies, the more convinced I get that a good spot will hold numerous fish at the same time. Can't wait to get up there. Keep the reports coming -- that's our lifeline.