www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: trip next week

Default trip next week

Hello Everyone - It sounds like there are a lot of fish being caught up on Leech. That is great to hear!! My family is heading back for our annual Leech Lake 4th of July trip and was wondering if the May Flies have hatched and if this is going to be a problem in the next 10 days? Also, does anyone know the current water temp? Best presentation being used currently? I know some of the posts were from a couple weeks ago, so maybe the bait has changed to leeches already or is about to soon? Any help would be appreciated. Good luck fishing to all!!!!

The mayfly hatch is in full force. I just got home from a week on the lake. We had a tough time getting a good jig or rig bite going, but trolling Shad raps was awesome! We gave up fishing for eyes during the day and targeted northerns and had a lot of fun. Then we'd switch to trolling right before dusk and caught a lot of fish. We ended up with 5 over 5lbs the last two nights with one pushing 7. There wasnt a difinitive difference with color, but the larger fish were caught on jointed raps. We used number 7s until dark then switched to 8 or 9s. If you can stand the mayflies you'll have a great time!
    Last edited by Crazyfishinut; 06-27-2009 at 09:08 PM.

I'm a rookie to Leech and found fishing to be rather tough this past week. We too, switched to pike fishing on sunny calm days. Boy Bay was excellent for large mouth bass and northern pike on chartreuse spinner baits. Once the chop set in we did OK drifting on Big Rock reef and just off of the point near Uram Bay. Leeches worked best on both jig heads and Lindy rigs. Most of our eyes were in the slot. We released a lot of 20-25 inchers. We only caught two over but they were 28 and 29 inches. We managed to land a 34 inch northern also.

Good luck. I hope you have a little more wind and clouds than we did.