PDA

View Full Version : report 6/19

Steve Herbeck
06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
6/19

ANDY MYERS LODGE- EAGLE LAKE ONT

beautiful weather this week,we are now in what would typically be first -second week of june patterns under a normal season and catching up fast.had alot of high 70's-80's this week,sunny everyday,almost a shock.
water temps have soared into the high 60's even 70's in backs of bays,surface temps that is.we cold use a nice windy day to mix it up a bit now.
lots of walleyes have really moved in shallow on flats,island slots,bays,downed trees,in front of beaver houses,leading edges of reeds,etc. up shallow 3-6' of water in many cases.
we are seeing minnows stacked up eveywhere shallow and the walleyes are right behind them.
fish fast,they are aggressive,if no fish in a short time move and come back later ,you could clean up in same spot. fish moving in,out,and around in waves searching,and following schools of bait.
fish the wind,it is moving the warming surface water and stacking it,starting the whole food chain.also as you are fishing flats,bays,etc watch your locator and icon thickest patches of weeds,grass,they holding schools of fish longer.
jigs and minnows as well as spinner rigging working but they are now also hitting gulp ,plastics and casting/trolling cranks like shad raps,flicker shads,hornets,etc. and you can really fish faster .every group has caught large numbers of eaters and lots of slot fish as well as alot of fish 27"+ to 31 1/2".
the redfields had a 31 1/2 " 4 -29 1/2,3 -28",and a bunch of 26-27 in one evening.i finally got out another day with the gratz's and besides eaters and some slot fish boated a 30" and a 44 1/2 " pike.
bass are now on the beds everywhere. topwater,tubes,gulp minnows,wacky worms,shot/hook and leech or minnow.been fish up and over 20" caught.
trout have dropped down a bit to the 30-50' levels.spoons been best trolling with snap weights.starting to migrate and bunch up in areas heading towards the trout holes.
muskie season opens sat. at this point i would characterize it as being a bit behind normal years although things are changing very quickly now and they have been quite active the past week or so,quite a few caught incidently and yesterday several groups reported 48-52"+ fish cruising around the boat ,swimming by,chasing walleyes,etc.all in very shallow.
i could be wrong,it might be a great opening week.
weeds are behind in many spots but will catch up fast now with sun and warming water. some areas weeds growing measurably from day to day.
look for best weeds to be in areas that have been sheltered from the cold n,ne,nw winds and resulting colder water of this spring.
we haven't been throwing any big baits yet as it is illegal till sat. so don't have any real reports though some smaller minnow baits like shallow raiders,small gramas,cranes,etc and #4-5 bladed in lines have hooked fish while casting for pike.
from past experience i would say side to side jerks like hell hounds,small reef hogs,jerkos,etc,twitched minnow baits,baby and show girls,flashers,harrassers,med dogs and baits with action tails,and perhaps some topwater especially stuff like jackpots, weagles,spooks,etc would be good places to start.
WHILE THE FISHING HAS BEEN VERY GOOD ALL INDICATORAS POINT TOWARDS THINGS BREAKING WIDE OPEN AND EXPLODING INTO THE PRE SUMMER PEAK BITE THE NEXT FEW WEEKS COULD/WILL BE AWESOME.
WE STILL GOT A COUPLE OPENINGS FROM JUNE 27 THROUGH JULY 18-25 AND FROM AUG 22 THROUGH OCT 10.
COME ON UP AND JOIN US!!!
STEVE HERBECK
AML

DanR
06-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Good luck to everyone fishing Muskies in the opener tomorrow and Sunday. I know you and all "the boys" probably will have a tough time sleeping tonight!!! Let's make it another great season with many more memories made for all AML guests!!!

-Dan