PDA

View Full Version : T.F.F. Update

Don Pemble
06-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Sunday's walleye action was on the slow side, but my 2 clients and I did manage to put some decent eyes in the well. Using Reeves weedless jigs tipped with fatheads, we worked various areas, humps, flats and also some deep rocks, fish were scattered and it was one here and one there, no real pattern on that day. Tuesday's half day trip was very different as far as action goes. My 2 clients and I started out working shallow stumpy areas, 5 to 6 feet deep and found some pretty good size eyes in these areas. We managed 5 real nice sized eyes here before the action stopped. Moving on to an underwater point in 4 to 6 feet of water containing coontail and submerged stumps, we boated 2 more real chunky eyes and 1 small throwback by drifting and vertical jigging just off the bottom.

Back out on Friday, will keep you posted.

DonH
06-17-2009, 09:09 AM
I've been reading this daily and there has been no mention of a major mayfly hatch. On our trip (May 29 to June 3), there was a very slight hatch going on during the entire trip. We'd see them pop out of the water here and there, but nothing to get excited (or depressed) about. The last evening, on the way in from the big waters after dark the water had a lot of yellow stuff on top in various areas.

We also towed a boat in that had run out of gas. We were the last boat out there, so if we hadn't seen them blinking their lights, they might have been in for a long lonely night.

Maybe the weather was such a mess that the hatch happened over several weeks and not in the 2 or 3 days it's usually compressed into.

Or maybe there was a major hatch and no one has mentioned it? Just curious.

Mark Benson
06-17-2009, 09:58 AM
DonH:

I bet its on its way very shortly.

Mark

George
06-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Most likey, the relatively cold weather is responsible for the late hatch. Looks like the temps forecast for next week will fix that problem!

Don Pemble
06-18-2009, 05:16 AM
Forgot to mention in my last report that the larger version of the mayflys, the ones that cause the biggest problems had started to hatch, noticed several of them when I was out on Tuesday.

George
06-18-2009, 05:50 AM
If they really get big I wonder if they'd be good on a skewer? Mayfly kabobs? Hmmm. :D