PDA

View Full Version : compare musky casting rods

Josh Clark
06-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Hi Anglers,
I wonder why st croix musky rods is pouplar for musky fishing and i compare in some of brand of st croix casting rods and wouldnt tell between preimer musky rods and avid musky rods and Legend and Exterme musky rods are all just same at different price..
have anyone ever trying pete maina combo ?
a new limited musky rod called black river musky rod what i see on ebay and have u ever trying that ?
how about TIca Musky rods but they got 1 year warranty on it but i do like what tica make on rod that can throw all purpose they has most of rod that run from 1 oz to 8 oz and some 2 oz to 6 oz and some 2 oz to 8 oz
what is your recommend on musky rods ?

Thanks

Joel DeBoer
06-14-2009, 06:27 PM
I fish St. Croix musky rods exclusively, and would recommend them to you for their unmatched quality, durability, sensitivity, and customer service. As far as what rod model is right for you - let your budget be your guide. As you increase in price, the rods not only become even lighter and stronger, but their are a few aesthetic improvements as well. If your budget dictates an "entry" level St. Croix, you are still getting one of the finest musky rods on the market - I guarantee you will not be disappointed! Just my "two cents" worth...

Tight lines,

Josh Clark
06-15-2009, 01:59 PM
how about st croix preimer musky roid ? is they pouplar for musky angler ? well i'm a novice musky fishing and dont have any gear but i'm process to buy musky rod and reel for next year ..
i wonder should i get 3 or 4 musky rod for exmaple 1 short musky rod for jerkbait and 2nd rod 7'6 MH and 2 other 8' heavy and 8'6" extra heavy for all the lures they make for this musky rods

i wonder what reel should i look at ? abu garcia 5600 or 6500 C3 or C4 or a abu Garcia record at what size and what ratio gear should i use for musky 5:4.1 or go up high gear to 6:4 ? what is ur recommend on reel ?

Joel DeBoer
06-17-2009, 10:24 PM
I like to carry a range of rod lengths and actions to accommodate just about any musky fishing situation I may encounter while on the water. In recent years I have gone with rod lengths of 8 foot or longer - St. Croix now makes several models in this length with different actions to handle just about any lure/presentation out there. As for reels, I use 6500 C-3's for most of my musky fishing, but switch to 7000 C-3's when using baits that pull hard such as DC-10's.

Tight lines,

Josh Clark
06-18-2009, 12:55 PM
thanks for good advice, i just went to check out on some of abu garcia round baitcasting reel.. i wonder how good is abu garcia EXT 6600 but they has 3 different on gear ratio on 6600 ext has 4.7/1 how about any musky lures that can run at 6.3/1 or should i have go to low below 6.4 ?
will musky ever chase a fast reel like 7.1 or 6.5
i just compare some of 6500 and 6600 is 6500 and 6600 little different in the musky fishing
what is most likely for musky fishing in reel's gear ratio ?

Thanks