PDA

View Full Version : Hard to believe what I saw

IllinoisRip
06-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I was fishing near Petes bar last Tuesday. Heard a roar over my shoulder and looked to see a red boat flying by with one person driving with a full helmet on. He went from the North end of the bar all the way down to the Cranberry Bars within a few seconds. What's up with this? Anybody know this guy? Glad it isn't pontoon season yet.

Ty Sennett
06-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Might be the guy that had that white boat last year. I think it's an Allison boat. They go 100MPH. Yikes that's fast.

Snizz
06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
yea, the white boat had like a 300hp motor...that thing screamed across the water

IllinoisRip
06-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I think that is the guy. I get such a kick out of people. That helmet wouldn't help him if he flipped that boat. All it would do is preserve his smile after an accident. It's like ordering a diet coke with a double quarter pounder meal to control your risk of Heart attack. What is the speed limit on the lake?

Snizz
06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
there's a speed limit? I know about the no wake buoy's but i thought the chip was drive at your own risk...like the autobahn!

RobertTB
06-10-2009, 06:39 AM
I think the helmet deal really isn't for crash safety, rather it's so yer face don't contort inta' the ragin' wind when you's rippin' really fast on the waters. Might help a mite too if a bug happens to nick yer face at 100 MPH...maybe, contingent on the effectiveness of your wind shield. I don't know. Some of them face shields are pretty wild...think Jason, et. al. (Isn't NHL still going on?)

I once had a june bug hit my throat when I was doin' 65 or 70 (perhaps faster) on my motorcycle years ago. That smarted some. I expect the pain wouldn't be much different in a boat. Speaking of pain, long ago I tried water skiing. I was pretty miserable at it, actually, but I had some fun. Until the ski tip caught a wake at what I thought was considerable speed and I did a face first into the lake in a heartbeat. Seemed like most every part of my nearly full frontal nude body stung and tingled in a weird way. It was curious. It is possible to skip the human body like a flat stone, in an odd sort of way, but questionable as to the sanity of such a practice.

I do think there is a speed limit on the Chip AFTER dark. Really. I'm thinking its like...25 MPH. Might hafta' consult a DNR officer on this one, but I do believe there is a regulation on the books.