PDA

View Full Version : Esox Edge Lures...

Joel DeBoer
06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Wisconsin has a heritage rich in the outdoors industries. Not only does our state boast some of the finest hunting and fishing opportunities in North America, but a variety of nationally and even world renown companies call Wisconsin home. Back when I was part owner and General Manager of Musky Mania Tackle out of Hayward, we took pride in our Wisconsin roots. While Musky Mania is now based out of Ohio, a range of top-notch companies still calls America’s Dairyland home. For example, Park Falls is home to St. Croix rod, the finest fishing rods made, and Antigo is home to both Suick and Mepps, - but what about the greater Wausau area?

As an avid musky fisherman, I am always on the lookout for new products that I feel may help give me an advantage. As a result of this never-ending search, I recently stumbled upon a Weston based company, Esox Edge, owned by Kevin Mittelsteadt. Esox Edge currently manufactures bucktails and spinnerbaits designed to produce trophy northern pike and muskies; from first-hand experience I can tell you that they do work! When I asked owner Kevin Mittelsteadt why he chose to start a fishing lure business he replied, “I started Esox Edge because I wanted to start a home based business, and of course, I love Musky fishing. Gander Mountain, here in Wausau, was very supportive and helpful, allowing me to establishing my company and product line in their store. My goal is to establish a reputable company, in which I can continue to expand the product line.”

Kevin started Esox Edge out of his home in Weston during May of 2006, and explored having them constructed overseas for more than a year, working on samples with companies in both China and India for. According to Kevin, “I was unable to obtain the quality I was looking for. I then contacted the Worth Company in Stevens Point in February of 2008. Rollie Vallin helped me design my blades. The skirts are custom-made silicone salt-water skirts. My son Ty designed the logo for the packaging and website.” Adds Mittelsteadt, “My short-term goal was to create a quality product that I could be proud of. I feel I have obtained that goal by constructing a lure made of premium components. I could have taken a lot of short cuts to make more profit, but I chose to construct my lures of the best available components.”

Esox Edge has become a family affair, and one of Kevin’s long-term goals is expand the business enough to generate a steady secondary income, eventually allowing his children to become involved and continue the business. Owning a fishing tackle company is a lot of hard work, but does come with its share of perks. “The best memory so far of my lures is when my father, my son Jack, and I were testing my lure prototypes in Canada. We were fishing a deep weed line at Witch Bay Camp on Lake of the Woods and caught 5 northern over 36" and a 43" Musky in just a couple of hours. I don't think my father or I were allowed to reel any of them in, but we had a blast watching,” quips Mittelsteadt.

With a range of new colors coming out later this year, and three topwater prototypes due to be tested this summer, it appears Weston’s very own Esox Edge continues making it’s way into the musky marketplace. From personal experience, I can attest to their quality, durability, and perhaps most importantly - productivity. Kudos Kevin!

Tight lines,