PDA

View Full Version : Musky Opener - Lake Conditions

The Outlaw TJ
06-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Herbie,

Before I ask my question, I just want to say that I understand that you are not a weatherman nor do I expect you to be able to predict the future.

From recent postings, it appears that the timing of ice out on Eagle was normal as well as the timeframe for all the species spawn (please correct me if I am wrong). However, it seems that given the recent unstable weather conditions and the fact that the 10 day forecast is predicting temperatures slightly below the norm for the year with the potential of rain, how far behind will Eagle Lake be in terms of weed growth and water temperature for the Musky Opener in 2 1/2 weeks? What can we expect for the Musky opener given what we know today? Also, what size baits seem to work best fishing for Musky early in the season?

Thanks for your insight....

TJ

Steve Herbeck
06-03-2009, 11:23 AM
you are correct,ice was normal actually a bit earlier than last seasons late ice out. however we have not had any extened warming weather or when we did we lost it due to cold fronts so water levels are on the high side,water temps below normaland resulting weed growth behind.
walleye and pike spawn was normal however the later spawners that start in the mid 50's ranges like bass and muskies will/have been delayed somewhat from what we are observing.
bass are not on bedsyet,they are moving onto adjacent rocky points at the mouths of bays,in timber,etc. it probably wouldn't take but a few days of good warm or hot weather to push the water temps up from low 50's to get them started.
same with the muskies,we saw some indications from several spotted fish that perhaps some were starting but overall i'd say not quite yet.
i'm sure that they will be in the process or somewhat post spawn come opener.
i'd definatly look to smaller lures at least to start and go from there.
if we get a good hot spell right around then sight fishing in the shallows might be a patterns actually some relish and look for this type of spring for that opportunity but personally i'd rather have water temps in the 70's and weeds up.
if the weeds are not up good it will be shallow rocks,wood,reeds,and perhaps some suspended fish also.
alot can happen in 2.5 weeks if the weather would cooperate.