PDA

View Full Version : Castle Rock 5/30

Luke McGarry
05-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Well, Marie and I went out Saturday to do our best. With expected winds to pick up, I didn't want to recover our boat at our boat launch, so we launched at May's Point. I casted the trestle with Jigs&tails and Marie fished with Jigs and minnows. NO LUCK. The current and wind made boat control a challenge. Current was really fast coming under the trestle. With that in mind, I wanted to see if the dam was producing with the increased current.

We shot up the river to the Pete dam and all the gates were open. I don't see that often. Swells from the side chute were causing swells across the water down from the dam. Mist across the water from all the flows. Cool! The Castle Rock is about 3/4 of a foot above the action stage (open the gates). So Pete's gates are open, the Castle Rock Pool is high and and the Castle Rock gates are open. see the lake level at: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=arx&gage=crow3&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

How did we do? One white bass. We only fished for about an hour there and tried blade baits for white bass and jig&tails for walleyes. Marie got the white bass on the jig&tail. I got skunked. That's ok, we got out for three hours before needing to be at a local party. Off the water by 1pm. Thought I saw Jerry, but he said he wasn't.

On another note, a private fishing tournament launched out of our campground caught some walleyes. 16 boats strong and only 4 keeper walleyes for the fri-sun weekend. However, they had several 20+ inch walleyes and one 28.5 inch walleye. All released. Couldn't find out how they caught them or where--it's a secret. What bothers me is that I haven't seen shorties and neither did they. I would like to see more of those for a healthy fishery.

Keep plugin folks. I'll be back for a week long vacation in two weeks. Hopefully, with a new Lowrance HDS-7 onboard. Maybe that will catch fish for me. :-;

Luke