PDA

View Full Version : First Musky of the Season........

Kevin Cochran
05-30-2009, 09:45 AM
I took the kids on a fieldtrip Thursday and Friday at Diamond Point Park on Lake Bemidji. At one of the stations we set up we had butterfly nets that we used to scoop up crayfish and other creatures off of the bottom of the lake. While we were standing on the dock on Thursday the kids and I saw a pike or musky shoot out from under the dock in only a foot of water. I didn't get a good look at it but noticed there were multiple scars/sores on its head and back. I assume this is from spawning. The next day we set up stations and were back at the dock. The little musky decided to hang out longer this time and all of us got a good look at him. It was about 30 inches. The kids freaked out and kept saying how huge it was. LOL

cbrooks
05-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Do you think that the muskies will be done spawning by next week for opener?

Kevin Cochran
05-31-2009, 12:10 PM
I think so. The ice went off the lakes alot earlier this year than last. However, we have had some very cool nights the past two weeks with temps dipping below freezing. I still think that the majority of the fish will be vacating the shallows and staging over deep water to recooperate. Temps for the next 10 days show them reaching the mid to upper 60's.

Scottie Thomas
06-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Nice, sounds like a fun way to wrap up the school year, I bet those kids had a blast. Only a few days left until the fish start slamming!!! Can't wait!