PDA

View Full Version : Musky Report 5/30 - Being Versatile

Chas Martin
05-30-2009, 09:05 AM
The last couple days this week have brought a wide variety of fishing conditions to the North Woods. Tuesday and Wednesday were just miserable days on the water, cold and rainy with winds out of the NE chilling the fingers. Water temps are still holding in the 60 to 64 degree range depending on the lake and winds have been predominantly out of the north. Checking the usual spots did nothing to get the attention of the muskies. I knew there would be an active fish somewhere so I did a little searching and found them holding in about 1-2 feet of water in the thickest weeds imaginable. Right away I was moving fish on spinners and lost a good one in the slop. Staying versatile and adjusting to the conditions is always and important tactic to utilize.

Thursday brought beautiful fishing conditions, NW winds and air temps in the 67 degree range. The muskies were on the move again and in just a couple hours on we had some great action. Between 9-11am we moved 4 good fish, hooked up and lost one and then caught a chunky 38 incher on a jerk bait. The evening though brought little action besides a few small northern and bass. Last night (Friday) we had some good action but no takers. These fish were following but then just sitting by the side of the boat. Almost all fish were showing scars from the spawn and most are still in recovery mode.

Stay versatile and be ready to make some changes and try different techniques as the weather throws a few curve balls.

Good luck,

Chas Martin
www.muskymastery.com