PDA

View Full Version : Great King Salmon Action

Captain Scott Gutschow
05-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Two of the boats from the Reel Action Team left the dock around 9 am today and fished Sturgeon bay. Together they boated 17 Kings!! Nice sized fish for May! Most were over 10 pound with the heaviest fish 16 pounds.... Each boat reported solid fishing action on Dodgers and Flies fished off copper as well as a very good downrigger bite.... The season is starting off strong with bigger than average fish and captains accross the Lake are reporting very big king salmon for this early in the season.... Walleye fishing remains incredible on the bay along with some solid smallmouth action...
Catch you on the water... Capt Scott

Naz
06-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi Scott, just wondering how things are going up there. The charters are doing pretty well here, but most privates are struggling to put any numbers of kings in the box most days. Water is setting up nicely now though and the steelhead arrived a week or so ago. Nice mix of steelies and lakers up high and kings down deep 5-10 miles out right now. The inside salmon stuff is almost exclusively dawn and dusk. This flat-calm water for two weeks has been unreal. Small black flies were unbelievable this morning. Steelies are packed with bugs of all types. Many kings 10-20 lbs. and we had a 22.56 over the weekend. A charter reported a 29-1/2 this morning. We could hit 30 in the K/D (www.kdsalmon.com) this year!

Captain Scott Gutschow
06-24-2009, 09:43 PM
We haven't targeted the Steelhead or the Lake Trout, with the bank producing solid numbers of BIG kings... We are very impressed with the size... Three of our boats ran this morning and each reported full coolers... The Varsity landed 18 kings and with our mind on tournaments Jeff weighed the 10biggest, each was over 14 pounds with 3 over 20!!!! I wish we could have had a cooler like that in our last tournament.... Our boat "Playtime"placed 3rd just a few ounces out of 2nd. We were inched out by good friends and family on the Hourtime which took second, another Sturgeon Bay boat..It is good to see Kings this big and I look forward to being lucky enough to hook into a giant that forces us to pull lines and chase him down... It has been a couple of years since we have had fish this big in JUNE!! I heard of a king over 30 being caught already, so chances are good...

Good Luck

Capt Scott

CHUBBY 4
06-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Scott,
Are there any hot or steady flasher/fly colors you would recommend for a trip to the bank? Spoon colors?

Naz
07-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Scott, I heard you guys are tearing 'em up up there. A friend of mine went out of Sturgeon Bay on his private boat last night and fished miles off the Bank and still caught 12!

It's been some of the best salmon fishing in years down here this week, many 20- to 30-fish charter limits and fast. I hope guys don't expect that every time because no way can it last. Hopefully though the 10- to 20-fish catches will continue with regularity in between the smokin' hot times.

As you know, the fish are very deep and awesome battlers. They appear to me to be in better shape than they've been in a half-decade or longer. We had 17 in short trips on my 18-footer in recent days, including a solo limit of 16- to 19-pounders yesterday. Everything but the kitchen sink has been working, though most charters are going all fly since the salmon came on strong. We did take a big king and a bow on a mag spoon this morning run up high in the cool water.

The Sturgeon Bay weeds are bad though ... anyone fishing between SB and Algoma should be on the lookout whenever there's a NW, N or NE wind or current. We had to shut the boat down when we hit a massive patch today.

Best of luck up there.

Kevin