PDA

View Full Version : Warm weekend improves fishing

Rick Writz
05-26-2009, 09:19 PM
A beautiful Memorial weekend it was, and the warm sunny weather triggered some decent fishing.

Walleyes were hitting a variety of baits including crawlers and leeches. They were relating to weeds or wood. Weed growth is somewhat behind schedule but when new green cabbage is located there will be walleyes.

Crappies which had to this point been staging in the pre-spawn mode out in 6 to 10 feet of water have begun the move to the shallow waters to spawn.

A few largemouth and smallmouth bass have moved into shallow water in preparation of the spawn.

A little cool down early this week will slow things a bit but warm temps are forecast to return for Thursday which should get things going again.

Mark Benson
05-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Rick:

Congrats on your recent tourney place. You were one of the only ones that I recognized.

Mark

Rick Writz
05-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks Mark. It was a really tough bite at the Pettenwell. I guess two cold fronts in the four days prior to the tournament may have had something to do with it. I was happy to weigh a few fish.

Rick

Mark Benson
05-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Fished the Pete on Sunday of this last weekend. We could have won a catfish tourney!!! Eyes were tough for us with the east wind.

Mark