PDA

View Full Version : What knots to use

Sam
05-26-2009, 09:12 AM
For musky fishing with braided line I use the Palormar, which is pretty common I think. Whats the best knots to use for regular mono? I've been walleye fishing while waiting for musky to open and have been questioning the improve clinch. I've broke off at the knot a couple times when snagged and I know I'm tying it right and tightening it right. I remember from an old post like a year ago that you've read a bunch of books on knot tying and you recommended some books. Maybe you can save the trouble of reading the books and just give your recommendations. Thanks.

Paul Schlagel
05-28-2009, 10:13 AM
The majority of the time a knot is tied, probably 95%+, it's done to secure a hook, lure, or leader. There are other applications that require specialty knots, especially in saltwater fishing and fly fishing. But, things are simpler for the Minnesota freshwater angler; a few knots covers just about everything.

As you mentioned, the Palomar Knot is the one to use for the superbraid lines used in musky fishing. It's very quick and easy to tie and it tests at 100%. On some of the message boards I see other knots mentioned from time to time but they are all more difficult to tie and don't offer greater strength. The Palomar is the way to go. There's also a Double-Palomar and Triple-Palomar variation where the double line is passed through the hook eye more than once. The regular Palomar has never, ever failed me.

The usual knot I use for tying monofilament is the Trilene Knot. It's as easy, or even easier, than the improved clinch knot you mentioned. The improved clinch really isn't a very good knot. It takes care to tighten properly and even when properly tied it isn't very strong. Some knot books only include the Improved Clinch with a discussion about it's weaknesses and why it shouldn't be used. The Trilene is easy and strong. It's only disadvantage is that the line is passed throught the hook eye twice, which is difficult with small hooks that have a tiny eye.

To tie small hooks (when the Trilene becomes difficult) I use the Orvis knot, also called the Becker knot after the guy that developed it. This knot is also very easy to tie and it's 100%. This is the best knot for light line and small hooks. This is a very useful knot for flyfishing but would also be a great knot for panfish anglers when using tiny jigs or flies.

To tie a lure using a loop I use the Kreh Loop which is a variation of the Non-Slip Loop knot. Loop knots are favored for tying direct to a crankbait or other lure where a tight knot might hinder the lure action. The Kreh Loop is really easy to tie and it's 100%. Another common knot for this application is the Rapala knot which I don't use because it's more difficult to tie.

Other knots that are needed from time to time in freshwater are the Blood Knot, Surgeons Loop, Surgeons Knot, Uni-Knot, Albright Knot, and Bimini Twist.

Keep it simple. Learn and practice the Trilene Knot, Palomar Knot, Orvis Knot, and Kreh Loop - that'll take care of 99% of knot-tying needs. Practice with a hook and spool of line if you're watching TV or a movie. The practice will help a lot and your wife will love it.

Sam
05-29-2009, 07:58 AM
I haven't heard of the Orvis Knot and I don't know a lot of the knots listed at the end. Maybe it wouldn't be the end of te world to read a book. Is there a book you recommend?

Paul Schlagel
05-30-2009, 12:20 AM
The books I've found most useful are:

The Book of Practical Fishing Knots by Geoffrey Budworth

and

Fishing Knots by Lefty Kreh.

Both books provide great descriptions and step-by-step illustrations to show demonstrate how the knot is tied. The Kreh book also includes a DVD which shows Lefty tying each knot.

If I had to choose only one book it would be the Kreh book. It doesn't show as many knots but thd DVD is nice and Lefty also does a good job exlaining the proper application for each knot. He also does a better job explaining the relative strength of each knot.

Paul Schlagel
05-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Here's a link to a website that is a great resource for knot tying. It shows animated step-by-step instructions and a brief description of each knot and what it's used for.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com