PDA

View Full Version : Mendota 05/23/09

rk_diver
05-23-2009, 02:56 PM
A friend and I dove out past the old Red Gym this morning. Bottom was sandy (max. depth was 32'). Bottom pretty much featureless, few rocks and an occasional weedbed. We were diving on an old wagon I'd found a couple weeks ago. Tami found more parts of the wagon and pieces of a car strewn across the bottom (including the engine). Never seen a car scattered like this one. Tami got some photos of the parts she came across. At 32' the water temp was 55°F, surface was around 59°F. Clarity looking straight down was excellent, horizontally it wasn't as good but it was a lot of fun being able to see fairly decent! There was also a current present, while hovering I was being pushed north (not fast, but definitely there). Never saw a fish the entire time. Rick

aitlbhawg
05-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Could you post some pictures?

rk_diver
05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
I'll post a couple of the good ones when Tami gets them to me, Rick

rk_diver
05-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Here'a a couple Tami took yesterday. One is the two wheels of the wagon along with the axle and some other parts, the other is part of another wheel. Rick

aitlbhawg
05-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Very cool! thanks for sharing - Eric

Matthew Hill
05-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi, noticed your flags last weekend. As a newer boater, can you give me some advice on how to courteously fish near divers? Other than the obvious "not too close", how close is comfortable? Sort of a FAQ would be helpful.

rk_diver
05-24-2009, 10:54 PM
The law says you have to stay at least 100' away from a dive flag if you're running your motor (I don't recall if the same restriction applies to electric motors or not. Personally someone getting closer then 100' with a trolling motor doesn't concern me). A diver, unless it's an emergency, has to surface within 50' of their dive flag. Likewise a diver cannot interfere with anyone fishing. I've had one power boat run into my dive flag before, and have had fishermen motor right up to my flag and stare down at my air bubbles trying to figure out what the heck was down there (true story). They finally figured out someone was diving down there! I can't tell you how many times I've not dove where I wanted to because someone was fishing in the area. Likewise I can't tell you how many times I've come to the surface and found boats surrounding me (scared the crap out of one guy when I popped to the surface. I saw the shadow of a boat and thought it was mine!). I also try to put an extra dive flag on the boat, as well as towing one behind me. I do get people coming over to talk to me after I get back into the boat. But before getting too close you should ask if there's any more divers in the water (if they surface within 50' of the boat with a dive flag they're legal). I never mind sharing what I see down there and for the most part people are cautious when they approach. Like everything else, if we respect each other we can all enjoy our lakes at the same time. Thanks for taking the time to ask about this! Rick