PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Weekend Bite

Ranger Rick
05-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Today it is supposed to be 87 degrees in Eagle River, this should "jump start" the bite that will build during the predicted warming trend for this weekend. This is the best time of the year for action of all types, every specie of fish that swims in our lakes are in the weeds. On the chain they are in about 3 to 6 feet. On clear water lakes anywhere from 4 to 12 feet depending on weed growth. Jig and minnow, or leech combos are the ticket, with slip bobber rigs bring up a close second in production. As the water warms the fish become aggresive, and I favor a 1/16th oz. jig and extra large fathead minnow worked aggresively over and through the weeds using the "stroke,,,,backstroke" technique I teach at our Weeds N' Walleye School held every May. Using a slip bobber an angler must wait for the fish to find the bait, a jig presentation executed properly will pass past erratically past the fish, generating more strikes in a short time during warm weather. If anyone is interested in learning this technique, I do have some open time for guiding this weekend.

Guides Choice will be open at 6 am for all your live bait and other needs. We hope to see you all up north this Memorial Day Weedend, it is shaping up to be a good one for fishing.

Ranger Rick