PDA

View Full Version : may 15 conditons,water levels,fishing report and lake trout study

Steve Herbeck
05-15-2009, 03:35 PM
got up here mon. may 4 50-60+ degrees,ice went out wed-thurs on eagle and most nearby lakes by last weekend,about a typical normal year ice out.
weather has been up and down,a couple days of nice spring weather then some rain and cooler of and on.
water levels are very good maybe even a bit high so all the creeks and spawning marshes are flowing good. it will be an awesome pike and walleye spawn this year. pike are close to be ing done and for the past week walleyes have been going at it like crazy.

now a cold front came in several days ago from the nw and should be headed your way so it will be a cooler opener with projected temps of low 30's nite time to 40,s daytime for the next few days.
today may 15 north of ear falls and red lake north it's a blizzard 5-10" for today/tonight with reports of roads closed,just light raining here but even calling for some lite snow possibly tonight/morning but it's supposed to be high 40's-50's by sun and get up into the upper 60's+ by mid week.
mother nature !!!!!

for those real fishermen who live for the opener regardless of the weather should have some excellent fishing.
walleyes will be at the creek and river mouths dropping back,the first break off of them,and any nearby cover like reeds,wood/timber,rock rubble shorelines,subtle points,etc. and along gravel/rock rubble shoreline connected shoals,and bays with creeks coming into the backs of them.
if they are done spawning in the area and if the front persists or negativley affects them they could drop down into even 18-24' depths off the break or into the mud even deeper especially the bigger females.it is not uncommon to see this anyway with cold nites and fish moving up shallower as the day progresses and warms.when it gets sunny and warms as an option try up looking for the most sheltered,warmest water thats where the bait will be.
jigs and minnows,gulp,plain hook and shot or bullet weight and minnow would probably be my first choice.
slow trolling cranks and if you can fish after dark slowly longlining minnow baits along shorelines will take some big fish.

if the pike aren't in the shallows look for the slightly deeper holes in the bays or at the mouths. twitch suspending minnowbaits,jigs and reapers/gulp jerks,or a sucker,spring dogs,swim baits,quickset deadbaits

bass will be on/off reefs yet in thier fall patterns bunched up. give jigs and chubs,tubes,gulp minnows a try

from reports i've recieved from the locals the trout are up shallow and very active. i've heard of some 12-20# fish on eagle in the past week mostly just off docks and shore not even out in boats and easy limits of 3-10# fish on the nearby trout lakes. troll spoons,minnow/crank baits,spinner rigs and a sucker strip or a minnow along shorelines,shallow shoals/flats, and points.
the mnr is doing a migration study on lake trout in eagle using transmitter tags and recording transponders and have asked us to help them catch a few so we'll be out doing some of that which will be interesting to be involved in.

ATT; also important to mention is that as the season progresses any trout caught by anglers with a transmitter be water released as quickly as possible after getting info and reported to the resort where you are staying which will then be given to the mnr.

we didn't book anyone in till the 20th as we had alot of projects to complete and not real busy untill the 30th on but we will be out some and keeping up on local action so stay tuned and good luck!!!

got a few prime time openings yet in june and early july and some specials running..
let's get it on!!!
888 727 5865
steve
aml

Steve Herbeck
05-17-2009, 08:01 AM
fri pm and sat am were not pleasent woke up to some snow though by noon sun was out ,by mid afternoon snow was gone and in protected areas from the nw wind it was actually pretty nice . in the 20+mph wind out in an open lake though it i'm sure not pleasent. by evening it had calmed down and was a nice evening.
sun awaked to a whole new world,sunny,warm,little or no wind,birds a chirp'n.
fri nite and sat am was just a burp in mother natures scheme of things.
50-60+ coming through the week.
danny was out for an hr or so in the afternoon and boated a few 22-24" walleyes and some pike but said it was slow,water high and cold. also heard of some nice lakers caught.
i'm sure fishing in the area was at a min on sat but should get going in full ernest today.
look for about 2;oopm on to be the best bite.

UPDATE sun may 17 beautiful,sunny,lite sw/w winds 50 degrees
danny went out to do a little scouting with a couple of local guide buddies who aren't starting till next week either and they did well,50+ walleyes,kept a few for dinner,mostly males but some slot fish in the 20-25" range ,12-16' off points near spawning areas,jiggs and minnows and in the creek mouths shallower.

DanR
05-17-2009, 09:41 AM
i'm sure fishing in the area was at a min on sat but should get going in full ernest today.
Excellent!!! Here's hoping for a geat season for all AML guests. It's always fun to see the season start, and not know yet what it holds for us all.

Good luck everyone!!

Steve Herbeck
05-19-2009, 12:48 PM
THIS UPDATE IS ACTUALLY MAY 21 NOT 12 MUST HAVE BEEN DISLEXIC OR SOMETHING
some walleyes especially the bigger ones have been 16-20' but some fish using the shallowwer spawning and nearby areas.
warming weather through the week projected which means rising water temps though it will take awhile to do so as the water is fairly high and cold with the cool nites since ice out.look for more shallow fish to start showing up especially later in the day asit does..
some good pike shallow post spawn,lakers going good shallow.
bass are on the shallower reefs 15-18' fall patterns all bunched up and aggressive waiting for warmer water to move in .when it hits 52-56 they will move in fast to start setting up prespawn and nests.
wow,saw something i could hardley believe this early and as cold of water,a 48-50" muskie was in the harbor this afternoon and she was full of spawning marks very obvious,scott got a good long look, no mistake she has been spawning already. should be well recouped by june 20 opener on and ready to rumble.

row troller
05-20-2009, 12:43 PM
wow sounds like you are settling in for the season.

I am looking forward to following the bite on your site this season.

I wish I could say I was coming n orth this year but the last year has spanked my fun money but good and I will have to live with wisconsin fishing :(

I hope all is well with you Steve and Danny and hope to get back up there sometime.

Thom