PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lure

cooneyrunner
05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm heading to Canada for the first time in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering what lures would be best. There are so many "good" fisherman that post on here that I'm sure I'll end up with a killer lure. Can't wait till July either and my week at Timberlake Lodge.

Jax
05-09-2009, 12:11 AM
If you mean "Northern Lure" as a lure for northern the fish then I would definately pick up some doctor spoons. They are a shiny silver spoon with little red diamonds or dots on the top of the lure and they have a really good wiggle motion. When I went up to Lac Seul all the guides we talked to and all the locals swore by them and I can definately tell you that during the week we caught 5x more northern on doctor spoons than dare devils, small mepps, small bucktails, rapalas, etc.... Don't know what it is about the lure but the flash and wiggle motion must be extremely enticing to northern. So if you mean "Norther Lure" as a lure for northern then I would definately pick a few up and give them a try. What lake you going to?

Ty Sennett
05-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Large spinnerbaits work really good up there. Try some of the thick slop weeds with spinnerbaits and you'll get some fish.

cooneyrunner
05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I will be at Lac de Mille Lacs at the Thunderbird Lodge. Thanks for the tips and I'll hopefully land some nice northern. Lots of walleye up there to but the only thing better than a nice northern fight is a Chip Musky on the line.

ryanmitchell
05-12-2009, 03:55 PM
What size Doctor spoons work the best and what colors. The pearl glitter and pounded nickel and brass look solid.

2 oz. too big

I am thinking 3/8 ounce or maybe 5/8 or 1/4

Jax
05-12-2009, 11:37 PM
We had the nickel (Silver) colored Doctor Spoons and the gold colored but the Nickel (Silver) seemed to work MUCH MUCH better. Again, this was on Lac Seul so it might be different on different lakes but the locals and guides we talked to definately recommended the Doctor Spoon for northern and we definately were not disappointed. As for size, get the one that is closest in comparison to a normal dare devil.