PDA

View Full Version : "Everest Metro" Fish Fry's

Joel DeBoer
05-05-2009, 06:34 PM
There is something spiritual about being in the outdoors. As magical a place as the woods and waters are, it is equally as satisfying to enjoy the fruits of one’s labors while feasting on fish and game with family and friends. I am fortunate to enjoy some fantastic fish fry’s on a regular basis – several of my friends are terrific cooks. Both my wife and I look forward to these gatherings around the dinner table; the food is delicious and the stories even better! The same can be said for my in-laws, whose secret breading makes for a delectable meal, and brother-in-law Chris makes a phenomenal marinated grilled salmon.

This post finds me wearing a different hat, instead of writing as a fishing guide, I will be playing food critic. My wife and I have made it a priority to go out for dinner on Friday nights. After a long week, it’s nice to avoid the cooking and subsequent clean-up of a meal at home. Both being avid participants in the outdoors, we prefer to go out and enjoy a fish fry whenever possible. While we have visited a variety of places over the past few years, I recently made a post on our website inquiring as to visitor’s favorite places to go for fish. Emails flooded my inbox, and I even received a few phone calls from patrons eager to share their favorite Friday night haunt. In conjunction with the feedback of many local fish fry junkies, myself included, here is my review of three of the finest local fish fry’s in the Wausau Area:

Let’s start with a look at PJ’s Log Jam in Rothschild. Owners Jeff and Dana Buhse added on to the existing bar several years back with the intent to bring in live music as well as offer dining. In addition to some sweet weeknight specials, PJ’s offers a fine fish fry as well. Delicious homemade side dishes complement the fish offered, with my personal favorite being the pan fried walleye. Try it with a generous helping of homemade potato salad, and you’ll leave feeling like you just left a supper club up north. If you’re feeling spunky, and more importantly, have a driver, treat yourself to a “Terry’s Long Island Iced Tea”; it’s delicious and shall we say, soothing, after a long work week.

Arrow Sports Bar and Grill has long prided itself on their Friday night fish fry. Although the wait may be longer than with other local establishments, the food is worth it. Arrow keeps a fresh approach with its offerings by presenting weekly specials ranging from seafood to fish and steak. While I have sampled a variety of dishes at Arrow, more often than not I find myself ordering their regular fish fry. Sporting generous pieces of fish fried to a golden brown, the Arrow fish fry is both tasty and satisfying, and sure to put a smile on your face.

While PJ’s and Arrow both sport excellent fish fry’s, my personal favorite has to be The Outskirts, owned and operated by Mike and Brenda. The Outskirts, formerly AJ’s, is located just a few minutes East of Hatley right off of Highway 29. Like Arrow, The Outskirts offers a variety of weekly specials that change from week to week. Ranging from grilled salmon to citrus mahi mahi or Cajun perch, The Outskirts produces big time dishes from a small, perhaps more obscure location. In addition, unique to The Outskirt’s is a salad bar featuring homemade soups, side dishes, and fresh lettuce with all the fixings. It is the one dining establishment where I cannot pick just one favorite – from the Cajun perch, citrus mahi mahi, and their standard fish fry to mention a few, the food at The Outskirts is more than well worth the wait on a busy Friday night! It’s the only place I have heard my wife say that makes better salmon than her brother, just don’t tell Chris!

The Everest metro is home to some of the finest fish fry’s in Marathon County, perhaps North Central Wisconsin. Celebrate your end-of-the week at one of them, and I guarantee you’ll walk away happy! If you have a favorite I didn’t mention, drop me an email and we’ll revisit other favorite Everest metro fish fry’s in the future...

Tight lines,