PDA

View Full Version : RFRG Opening Day 09 w/Muskie Matt

Muskie Matt
05-03-2009, 12:16 AM

Heck of a day, couldn't decide to be sunny or snow for awhile and quite cool on the water. Wind was gusting pretty good most the day and most protected spots had a few boats hiding in them... us included.

Water temp 45-47.

Jig n minnow seemed to turn the most walleye action which wasn't a gangbuster bite but we managed to bring a few in... a few 14's, a 17, and a 24 (with a few perch thrown in). Only noticed one wally really milking, all the others didn't seem to be. The perch were actively milking... big time. 1/8 oz jigs, orange or chartruse worked for us, tipped with fathead minnows. Had at least one muskie take a jig from us.

Good to be back on the water tossing baits again. Been a long winter and cool or not, it was a good day. Great first clients of the year... we had a hoot! Thanks guys, nothing like kicking off the year with good juju...

Hope everyone had a great opening day...

Sid Chigger
05-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Nice 'eye's!

Muskie Matt
05-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks Sid, there were two options... search out more action but smaller fish or sacrafice numbers for size. My guys opted for little bigger fish even though they'd fall into the slot limit.

We had fun and the Carnes group was a hoot at the show Sunday evening.

Getting ramped up for the annual Chigger migration north... trying to learn a couple basic banjo rolls/tunes so you can play something over them with me... Big Daddy, where are ya? I need some pointers...

crystalcreek
05-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks Sid, there were two options... search out more action but smaller fish or sacrafice numbers for size. My guys opted for little bigger fish even though they'd fall into the slot limit.

We had fun and the Carnes group was a hoot at the show Sunday evening.

Getting ramped up for the annual Chigger migration north... trying to learn a couple basic banjo rolls/tunes so you can play something over them with me... Big Daddy, where are ya? I need some pointers...

We were fishing the chain and managed a few slot size fish, including the one with my fishing bud, a 17" fish. But as the fillet table shows, the standard chain eating walleye was what we kept. Didn't get that magic 18" plus fish.

All in all a great opener as we did have plenty of action with somewhere around 30 fish being caught.

Hans

Sid Chigger
05-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Matt - your basic G C D progression is all ya need to know to play with Big Daddy! We're working on another Northwoods/Fishin tune and hope to have it sussed out by the time we get up there - 71 days!

Hans - that's one nice fat crappie on the cleaning board!

Muskie Matt
05-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Nice crappie on that board, been a few of those starting to show up shallower also. Good pictures.

You mean I have to learn chords? Damn. G C D progression, ok got it. G is easy, everything's open and I play the others purely by accident when they're in a little tune I pick out. I'll keep working...

71 days....

Sid Chigger
05-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Yep - Banjo players favorite chord = G.. LOL..

Muskie Matt
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Ya, gonna be a hoot, can't wait for the annual Chigger migration. You guys were a highlight of last year.

I'll work on "G"...

Sid Chigger
05-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks buddy! And you're graciousness and hospitality goes above & beyond! Our turn to host a cookout this year! :-) Bring your banjo!!

Muskie Matt
05-07-2009, 10:29 PM
You got it, as long as the host site is Muskie Lodge... a comfort zone for all friends, rain or shine, indoor or out.

Sid Chigger
05-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Deal! We won't bother the other guests with our "noise" that way.. :)