PDA

View Full Version : Opening Weekend Outlook

Pete Stoltman
04-29-2009, 10:23 PM
WooHoo! The open water season is upon us and welcome back to fishing in the great northwoods.

Ice will have been off most of the lakes for about two weeks by the time we open the season this weekend. Water temps are currently in the mid to upper 40’s depending on the lake. Since the ice left, there have been a few stalwart anglers chasing panfish on some of our waters. Perch have been the most cooperative target. These fish have been found in about 6’ of water and either over mud bottom areas or hanging in newly emerging or last years remnant weeds. Occasional walleye have also been caught in these areas by panfishermen so keep that in mind if you’re targeting walleye this weekend.
Bass have also been caught by some folks in these same areas. I expect the most productive presentations to include using light 1/16 or 1/8 oz. jigs tipped with a fathead minnow. Slip bobber rigs should also work well for the early season fish.

A few points to keep in mind as you go out this weekend. First of all make sure your boat is water ready before launching. Nothing can ruin a day on the water like having to make repairs or leave the lake early due to a maintenance oversight. Be sure batteries are fully charged and of course lifejackets and other safety items are in good shape.
Next, don’t forget to make sure you have the appropriate up to date fishing license. If you want to avoid a potential wait at the baitshop you can purchase a license online by visitng the DNR website.
Finally be sure you are up to speed on the fishing regulations for the lake you are fishing. Length and bag limits change from time to time and you are responsible to know the regulations where you are fishing. Regulations booklets should be available along with adjusted walleye supplements at the baitshops. In case you forget, special regulations will be posted at the boat launch. Remember that musky doesn’t open until May 23 and that Bass of both species are catch and release only until June 15.

The long range forecast as of Wednesday evening is predicting a pleasant weekend which will be very welcome by all. Regardless of what the weather brings I know we’ve all been waiting with anticipation for the start of another great season in St. Germain/Eagle River and the surrounding area. Have fun and be safe out there. See ya on the water!

Jeremy Hopland
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Hope all you "Cheeseheads" have a great opener! The crappie spawn has been going down here for the past couple of weeks and we've finally been getting into the "keepers" (10+ inches). Last weekend we put a couple in the basket that were 2+ pounds. It's getting good!!!

Muskie Matt
04-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Got the "Mary Celeste" in, the "Big Johnson" purred like a kitten after another long winter... man, I love that motor...

Put all electronics on today and am rigging all the walleye gear this afternoon. Might make a run up to Escanaba to "pre-fish" tomorrow, otherwise... look out opening day! We're in the gates and ready to roll !!

Condition-wise, should be pretty good. Cool and overcast will work for me.

crystalcreek
04-30-2009, 03:17 PM
I hope I can get to my pier on Crystal Creek....the water level forecasts have me a bit worried, but I guess I can put in and take out every day. Looking forward to getting on the water again. Thanks to all who post information....it is always appreciated.

Hans